Quantcast

Dirt Jumps - Maintenance = Good Stuff

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
I was doing some repair work on the jumps after an intense rainstorm when it hit me - there has to be a better way to do this. Then I thought, why not use bricks and lay them out like pavers on the faces of the jumps? I found some free/cheap bricks on craigslist, and with a few days of work, I will never have to pack or shape my lips ever again. All of that time spent doing maintenance can now be used to expand and build new lines.

Bricking up the lips was pretty easy, the only difficult part is getting the underlying dirt perfectly flat and compacted. Once the bricks are laid, just sweep some dust into the cracks between the bricks, pack some dirt around the edges and you're done, no more erosion. They ride really smooth and fast, there's no difference in how the jumps feel at all.

Attachments

Dirty Maestro

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Thats some nice work. We tried doing some of that with local stuff we could find in the woods but ran out of resources quick. We wanted to get bricks or pavers but didn't have the money for it. I've used Craigslist for dirt but didnt think of bricks.

Nice one!

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
put some carpet on those, for your safety
It's still safer than any skate park, where you land on concrete after every single fall. In my experience, it's pretty rare to fall and land right in the middle of the next lip, halfway up the jump. The way I pack my dirt lips, they're pretty much as hard as concrete anyway (my 8"x8" tamper is my best friend).