Quantcast

Dirt Science

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
The municipality where I live have started to build a dirt for us and the dirt they put there was mixed with flour made from stone. That **** sucked so we told them to get us some other stuff.

I'm not a dirt jumper so I don't know really what to say to them, and they are construction engineers and only use technical terms for everything. We told them dirt that you use to cultivate stuff in would probably be just fine, but they started yapping about that it has something in it that rottens and bla bla bla.

Can you prescribe the charachteristics of a good dirt to use? Actually anything will help...

Jul 30, 2007
CT
What demo 9 said^^^

the truth is after they harden it hurts for to fall on them, then it does falling on DH with out pads....no joke

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
In NYC the DJs got a revamp as the little leauge fields closeby got a resurfacing. So there were several metric tons of sifted clay suddenly availbale for use. Apparently it's ideal stuff.
If you don't want to get too technical with the city, and you don't get crazy amounts of heavy rain, ask for the same stuff baseball fields are made of.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Thanks for all the answers, red/pink clay is to my knowledge non excistant in the country but sifted clay might be the word that will help them understand!

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I've got another question for you:
I was asked if this sifted clay is supposed to have any sand in it at all. I guess it should/could as dirt parks that are built by riders normally have, but then to what proportion?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Very cool to see a pic of that landscaper's pump track. I have a ton of work to finish up on my side yard ramp/track rebuild but I am hoping it will be on par with that and maybe even a little more interesting. Like I said, I have a ton more work to do on it.

rockwool - I am not sure - maybe 10-20% sand to make it somewhat easier to work with. I know our trails are clay w/ a small bit of sand. It makes it a little easier to shovel but when things are packed and the rain comes - the sand just deposits itself in the low spots.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
What a head ache this is, the ramp being finished today is not going to make it easier not having any dirt to work with..

Will see if I can find a camera so I can post a pic of our ramp, it's really something!