Quantcast

Dirtjumper 2 oil change

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
Have any of you changed the oil in your dirtjumper 2 forks?
If so how and what type and weight oil do you recommend for this fork.
I am a big rider at 215lbs. I use my bike for some jumping, XC and urban
Thanks
REC

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
check their site for oil weight. it's pretty easy to change the oil. I've done it a bunch.
i got my oil at the MX shop... I don't remember the weight though.....

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
air?

i just unscrewwed the top cap, sucked the oil out w/ a giant sucker tube I got and put new stuff back in...

the first time I did it though, I made a giant mess. it was great!:)

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
rec said:
Did you just let the air out and they unscrew the top cap.
Pour out the old and then put in the new?
REC
yes, exactly. you have to compress the fork all the way to get all the oil out though

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
It's a good idea to properly strip the forks - it's not much more of a job once you've opened them all up. There's often a little pile of solid crap that acumilates at the bottom of the fork, and you need a brush or tissue to remove it sometimes.
Also make sure to properly pump out all the old crap out of the dampers - it can take quite a while to get it all out. After pumping out as much of the old stuff as I can I actually use a little new oil to flush out all the dirty old **** before flushing that and then finally adding the new oil.

As for the oil itself, buying from an MX or other motorbike shop will save you $$. Buy the same brand and you can mix the weights to custmise the damping. A mixture of 50% 5wt and 50% 10wt = 7.5wt. It's simple. I dunno what weight you'll want weighing 215lbs. I'd imagine it's going to be above 10wt though? I run 7.5wt and I weigh 170lbs.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Remember the oil is NOT good for your skin... Wash your hands thoroughly afterwards! Wear plastic gloves if you have sensitive skin or excema (sic?) or whatever.

very true above in regards to cleaning properly and the oil weights. however, one more lil tip, the oil HEIGHT is what is going to make the biggest difference in terms of progression/bottom out. i run my 888 w/ about 5mm more oil than the manual states, and have since not managed to bottom the fork with stock springs, and 10wt in the compression side. with the DJ though, just add a few more cc's (dont overdo it) of oil and you should be able to see a noticeable difference.