Quantcast

Dirtworks back in the game

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I'd be willing to bet that the Pirahna is the loudest frame on the planet. Any takers?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
wow. that is gonna make lots of sounds. my lenzsport was sooo loud. thunk!
just another single pivot. but kinda looks cool. different.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Yeah, the original Piranha was a lot nicer, I had one two years ago and it rode nicely but I could never get any support from Dirtworks.
In two years of calling and sending emails i never got a single response so I sold that frame and moved on.
Some people never get it , it's not only about the hardware, if you can't get it serviced or looked after why would any one buy !

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
face said:
they put the top tube in upside down sheesh
no they didnt...

" The top tube curves down to give you clearance needed when things go wrong. "

So, who has racked their nads at the junction of the top tube and seat tube (effectivly an impossibility if you have a saddle on your bike..). In fact it looks like they made the tube hump up in the area that you would need the most clearance.

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
I would ride one if the price was right and the geometry was adjusted for today's 8" fork. My old Piranha had a 15.5 bb with a 9.25 x 3 Avy :dead:.

Other then that, I really liked the bike.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I used to have a Piranha and it was a good bike. The build quality was very impressive. The geometry was a little whack to match today's racing numbers, but still a very good bike. With an Avalanche it was a very PLUSH machine. Glad to see him back in the game. I hope things go well for him. However, that hardtail looks.... well it looks weird.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
My Piranha had 20mm thru axle stepped down to run a 12mm hub. The axle was from Dirtworks and was much simpler than my Yeti 20mm to 15mm/floater steup.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
MMike said:
A 1999 M1 at that....... It doesn't look any different than the old one. The axle is still on the bottom link.........
Sinister R9's are still like that too and people say it's alright.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I've always like the Pirahna...wasn't it one of the lightest framesets available when Karpiel DVs were popular??

I like the tube version much better. As far as the BB height being high as one person pointed out, it would be neat to see if it could work with a 9x3 shock instead of 9.5x3.

At least people who still have the old frame can get them refurbished now.

edit. Dammit, I always spell Piranha badly.

oly said:
no they didnt...

" The top tube curves down to give you clearance needed when things go wrong. "

So, who has racked their nads at the junction of the top tube and seat tube (effectivly an impossibility if you have a saddle on your bike..). In fact it looks like they made the tube hump up in the area that you would need the most clearance.

Looks like a SC Jackel...sort of with that funky curved TT.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
mcA896 said:
wow i wonder what the leverage ratio on that shock must be. looks comprable to old rocky mountains
Those frames are pretty hard on the eyes. Dirtworks may be back in the game, but by the looks of those frames, it will be game over real soon...

As for looks, I have always thought that the Dirt Works bikes were all ugly(and these new ones are no exception)!!! WTF is up w/the way they mate such a strong(but ugly) looking monocoque front end, to such a week bolt-on seat mast(old or new modle)?! That seat mast looks like it would snap the first time you land on the seat!!!