Quantcast

Disadvantages of Boxxer on YT Capra

Stylex

Chimp
May 6, 2020
So here is the deal.

I have a capra 180mm front and read and the frame is graded for triple crown fork.

What disadvantages I would have to mount a boxxer aside the 500gr more in your opinions? Has everyone tried?
I loving the bike but going love on nasty terrain the lyrik does not give the same feeling of “solidity” of my canyon sender fox 40 with spring but I don’t think the issue is the air spring and it’s not psychological. it definitely feels lighter and less precise, sort of less planted for a lack of better term, not sure if it’s the flex or the stem not fixed on the crown but something is missing.

So here are my doubts:
1 should I go for a boxxer at 190mm since has the same axle to crown length of a 180mm lyrik?
2 should I use a shorter rack compared to the 46mm lyrik for whatever reason?
3 should I just not do it for some reason I cannot see?

cheers!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I would do it. The only downsides are a slightly taller bb height and more weight. If you get a 190mm and put the fork at minimum height then the change in bb shouldn’t be too much. I run a 40 on a Scott Ransom and like it.

Stylex

Chimp
May 6, 2020
I would do it. The only downsides are a slightly taller bb height and more weight. If you get a 190mm and put the fork at minimum height then the change in bb shouldn’t be too much. I run a 40 on a Scott Ransom and like it.
At 190 the boxxer has the exact same height, at 180 is 1cm shorter than the lyrik, I would increase the BB only if I leave the boxxer at 200mm. Weight would be the same as if I was converting it to coil...and not far from fox 38 and whatever rockshock next big single crown fork.....I think the only thing keeping me from doing it is people mocking me for climbing with a triple crown

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I think the only thing keeping me from doing it is people mocking me for climbing with a triple crown
I've never been mocked for climbing with one, I have gotten plenty of "fuck yeahs!" or similar. I do feel the extra weight in the handling though and wouldn't keep one on my enduro bike all of the time.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Do you ever trail ride it (climb)? I have a Capra 29 with 170 fork. It's on the burly, slack, tall front end of the enduro spectrum and I wouldn't want to go farther in any of those directions because it would become worse for a lot of the riding it's used for (while becoming better for a little of the riding).

I'm about to switch to a Ransom frame for the weight savings and the Capra is gonna become my girlfriend's DH bike. During that rebuild we're considering a Bartlett/40/Boxxer.

Stylex

Chimp
May 6, 2020
But this the point, since axel to crown is the same geometry should be exactly the same, it is true that I would have 500grams more but so I would if I were running a marzocchi coil no? How much of a worse climber would became for that? Honestly I have no idea

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I wanted to do this myself, but only have a 26" boxxer handy. Also my bike is kind of a pig, and I pedal it.

I lengthened the travel on my Capra AL Comp to 180 front and rear, and slightly regret it.

FYI only the carbon Capra is rated for DC use. That wouldn't stop me from doing it though if I lived near a bike park.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've got a 40, lowered to 180mm on my Nicolai G16. No downside other than the weight.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
it’s the beat fork you can own for 2500gr Never tried a z1 with coil but I suspect that overall I would prefer the latest boxxer
I have a current gen Boxxer, it's good. My last 3 DH forks have been a coil RV1, air Dorado and coil 40 RC2. I'd put the Boxxer and coil 40 in a tie for best of the bunch.

Stylex

Chimp
May 6, 2020
I'm sure the Boxxer is stiffer in every direction than any single crown.
same, especially since I’m using a lyrik, dunno about the new big RS single crown that will be released soon, but I doubt that it can match a boxxer just by having bigger legs

Stylex

Chimp
May 6, 2020
if i was gonna go the dual crown trail route i'd take @HAB 's route and use a 40.
fox air spring is worse, is heavier and grip 2 damping not sure is a real step up from charger damper 2.1, not to mention that is taller and much more expensive, furthermore it reduce the handlebar turning angle as it has ticker tubes, I find boxxer to be much more appropriate for a super enduro bike

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
fox air spring is worse, is heavier and grip 2 damping not sure is a real step up from charger damper 2.1, not to mention that is taller and much more expensive, furthermore it reduce the handlebar turning angle as it has ticker tubes, I find boxxer to be much more appropriate for a super enduro bike
yaddayaddayadda or actual facts won't work against @jonKranked 's SRAM hate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fox air spring is worse
lol wut

is heavier / much more expensive
strong, light, cheap, pick 2.

grip 2 damping not sure is a real step up from charger damper 2.1
and both will be better with a custom tune

you sure?

taller only by about 5mm, and only on 27.5 wheels. for 29" models the heights are essentially the same (or shorter for the 40 on 190mm travel).

A2C

29":
40: 601.9mm (203mm travel) / 588.9mm (190mm travel)
boxxer: 602mm (200mm travel) / 592mm (190mm travel) / 582mm (180mm travel)

27.5":
40: 585.6mm (203mm travel) / 572.6mm (190mm travel)
boxxer: 581mm (200mm travel)

furthermore it reduce the handlebar turning angle as it has ticker tubes
you mean stanchion diameter? also no. sure, the 40 is a 5mm larger diameter (but only 2.5mm radius as it concerns the turning clearance) but i believe the stanchions on the 40 are slightly farther apart than a boxxer, so any impact on turning clearance is negligible (if any).

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
With the Boxxer you can also run a Push HC97.

Stylex

Chimp
May 6, 2020
if anything the facts back up the hate (see above post)
Sorry but what facts? So I should pay more to have bit more weight, bit taller bb, bit les radius for what? To have a stronger fork? I’m not planning to do rampage, just to have a more solid feeling and boxxer should deliver that easily with minimal weight gain. What are the advantages of a fox 40? Farts button? Not enough

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sorry but what facts? So I should pay more to have bit more weight, bit taller bb, bit les radius for what? To have a stronger fork? I’m not planning to do rampage, just to have a more solid feeling and boxxer should deliver that easily with minimal weight gain. What are the advantages of a fox 40? Farts button? Not enough
the boxxer is actually the same height or taller than the 40, i listed out the A2C for all the variants of both forks above. and there's no impact on the turning radius between the two forks.

and we're ALL hucking rampage on the internet.

Stylex

Chimp
May 6, 2020
the boxxer is actually the same height or taller than the 40, i listed out the A2C for all the variants of both forks above. and there's no impact on the turning radius between the two forks.

and we're ALL hucking rampage on the internet.
you just forget to explain why I should pay more for the fox 40 for 320 additional grams and service cost. I didn’t ride a 2020 one but until 2019 boxxer air spring feels much better

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you just forget to explain why I should pay more for the fox 40 for 320 additional grams and service cost. I didn’t ride a 2020 one but until 2019 boxxer air spring feels much better
oh no! the extra grams! won't somebody think of the children!?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
serious question - how much do you weigh? like i mentioned before, i'm probably around 220 geared up, so i tend to notice things flexing more. for me, i'm generally more willing to make the tradeoff of extra weight for extra stiffness. @HAB doesn't weight nearly as much as me, but he's super picky and hates flex. he also rides a limo of a bike.

Last edited:

Stylex

Chimp
May 6, 2020
serious question - how much do you weigh? like i mentioned before, i'm probably around 220 geared up, so i tend to notice things flexing more. for me, i'm generally more willing to make the tradeoff of extra weight for extra stiffness. @HAB doesn't weight nearly as much as me, but he's super picky and hates flex. he also rides a limo of a bike.
147 and the boxxer is plenty for freeriding and aggressive enduro or bikepark for me. There was also a german newspaper who compared the two and the boxxer was more stiff on axial forces, the 40 was only tiny bit stiffer on torsional forces but not as much as the rux. I’m not looking for extreme stiffness Honestly, just for a solid front end feeling.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The newer Boxxers are very good, I'd happily run one. They've also got shorter offset offerings, which is nice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
147 and the boxxer is plenty for freeriding and aggressive enduro or bikepark for me. There was also a german newspaper who compared the two and the boxxer was more stiff on axial forces, the 40 was only tiny bit stiffer on torsional forces but not as much as the rux. I’m not looking for extreme stiffness Honestly, just for a solid front end feeling.
i think i was a hundred fifty pounds when i started high school. the boxxer is a fine fork. i've been on conference calls for work all day and am bored out of my mind.

the answer, as always, is

1588873447028.png