Quantcast

Disadvantages of Boxxer on YT Capra

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
147 and the boxxer is plenty for freeriding and aggressive enduro or bikepark for me. There was also a german newspaper who compared the two and the boxxer was more stiff on axial forces, the 40 was only tiny bit stiffer on torsional forces but not as much as the rux. I’m not looking for extreme stiffness Honestly, just for a solid front end feeling.
Those german tests are rather bs. They test a lot of shit in specific isolated conditions. I remember some brake tests and they made no sense. Also it's the same newspaper that back in the day used to highly rate some really REALLY bad bikes (including my old old dh bike)

Stylex

Chimp
May 6, 2020
Those german tests are rather bs. They test a lot of shit in specific isolated conditions. I remember some brake tests and they made no sense. Also it's the same newspaper that back in the day used to highly rate some really REALLY bad bikes (including my old old dh bike)
i did not really wanted to derail the conversation to a boxxer vs fox 40 thread, I’m grateful for all the input but honestly my point was simply how much of a climbing/enduro capability am I gone to lose by mounting the lightest dh fork available vs single crown forks that between coils and big legs are starting to weigh as much as the boxxer (see the new 38 fork).

you get the advantage of adjusting the stack height if needed, the stem is always straight :D and the front end feels tighter but I wanted to hear what others fellow riders think in case I’m missing something.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i did not really wanted to derail the conversation to a boxxer vs fox 40 thread, I’m grateful for all the input but honestly my point was simply how much of a climbing/enduro capability am I gone to lose by mounting the lightest dh fork available vs single crown forks that between coils and big legs are starting to weigh as much as the boxxer (see the new 38 fork).

you get the advantage of adjusting the stack height if needed, the stem is always straight :D and the front end feels tighter but I wanted to hear what others fellow riders think in case I’m missing something.
if i had the terrain around here to justify doing so i would absolutely run a dual crown fork on a trail bike. again i'll mention that i am generally willing to make the tradeoff of weight for strength/stiffness.

hab and i had some discussions about the 38 before it was official, that it would have been cool if it was a dual crown fork. <edit> on the subject of dual crown enduro/trail forks, as much as i like the idea, i'm not entirely convinced that such a fork could be manufactured that is lighter than a DH fork and stiffer than a long travel single crown, all while being at a price point people are willing to pay. i think it could be done, but likely would be prohibitively expensive</edit>

mojo is/was working on a dual crown conversion kit for the 36, but the conversion kit was as expensive as the fork itself.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Only thing I can think of is if you have tight enough corners, it could be kind of annoying for climbs. If your corners are that tight on descents, you should probably ride a different trail.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Only thing I can think of is if you have tight enough corners, it could be kind of annoying for climbs. If your corners are that tight on descents, you should probably ride a different trail.
I've had a 40 on my G16 for 2+ years now and that's been a problem like, twice. So, yeah, in theory it's a thing that could happen, but it hasn't caused me any issues whatsoever.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I've had a 40 on my G16 for 2+ years now and that's been a problem like, twice. So, yeah, in theory it's a thing that could happen, but it hasn't caused me any issues whatsoever.
He was talking tight corners. What has a bike where the front wheel has another zip code as the rear wheel has to do with that? ;)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
on nasty terrain the lyrik does not give the same feeling of “solidity” of my canyon sender fox 40 with spring but I don’t think the issue is the air spring and it’s not psychological. it definitely feels lighter and less precise, sort of less planted for a lack of better term, not sure if it’s the flex
Singlecrowns are much less stiff than a DC, and a Lyrik is a complete joke compared to a Fox 40 in that respect, so what you're feeling is absolutely not psychological. It's also normal for an equal-travel DC fork to have 10mm lower A2C (often even better) than an SC so you can usually run greater travel for equal geometry.

I also agree with your choice of the Boxxer (though I ride a coil 40), the Fox air spring is inferior as you say, and the weight reduction however small is important on a trail bike. You know what you're doing, you know what you're feeling, I say go for it.

Just make sure the fork bumper situation is solid so you don't damage your frame, I hope long travel trailbikes start coming with inbuilt fork bumpers soon.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The new Boxxers feel great. Also the low offset boxers have very little turning radius, btw. I’ve ridden one. If you have a frame with a thick top and down tube then the turning radius will be sub optimal. Also, I can get a lower bar height on a 40 than a 180mm 38.

Stylex

Chimp
May 6, 2020
The new Boxxers feel great. Also the low offset boxers have very little turning radius, btw. I’ve ridden one. If you have a frame with a thick top and down tube then the turning radius will be sub optimal. Also, I can get a lower bar height on a 40 than a 180mm 38.
I don’t get it, offset differs by different rake the tubes have the same position so the radius should be the same for both offset no?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I don’t get it, offset differs by different rake the tubes have the same position so the radius should be the same for both offset no?
The one I rode had the reduced offset in the crown. Like the tubes were further back connecting earlier with the bumpers on the frame.

46mm (29"), 56mm (29"), 36mm (27.5"), 46mm (27.5")
2 different crowns and 2 different lowers I think.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, with the Boxxer there's one 29" lower casting and one for 27.5" and short or long offset crowns that work with either wheel size.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
For maximum turning radius, get the crowns with the most offset. Then mount the lowers back to front in order to shorten the offset.
This will put you in a win-win-win situation: high turning radius, mega short offset and a rad looking bike! What's not to like? :brows: