Quantcast

disappointed in California and Arkansas

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i searched and didn't see any topics

i can't believe people are still voting for things like prop 8 in California. Arkansas had one similar that also passed saying that homosexual couples, and single people cannot adopt kids. when you vote to pass these kinds of things all you are doing is helping the country take one big step in the WRONG direction. besides there are PLENTY of heterosexual couples that can still adopt(and are adopting) that in no way should be able to raise kids. i know some homosexual couples from my church that would make great parents for kids and have nice peaceful lives, and could do just fine raising children.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I was going to start a thread this afternoon but got super busy at the end of the day.

I'm with you here. I was really ticked off that CA passed Prop 8. On a day where we overcame one form of bigotry, we replaced it with another. CAjust took three huge steps backwards

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I was going to start a thread this afternoon but got super busy at the end of the day.

I'm with you here. I was really ticked off that CA passed Prop 8. On a day where we overcame one form of bigotry, we replaced it with another. CAjust took three huge steps backwards
Couplapoints (Yeah, I meant it to be 1 word)

1) Prop * had 70 MILLION dollars behind its campaign...Which will make stupid people make even stupider choices.

2) I don't think it will last too long, since this is the second time something like this has been passed here in cali

But yeah, its disgusting that people are ok with taking away others rights.

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Couplapoints (Yeah, I meant it to be 1 word)

1) Prop * had 70 MILLION dollars behind its campaign...Which will make stupid people make even stupider choices.

2) I don't think it will last too long, since this is the second time something like this has been passed here in cali

But yeah, its disgusting that people are ok with taking away others rights.
I agree. It won by a narrow margin and it been going back and forth for a while now. I wonder how the Knights of Columbus (who footed a huge portion of that 70 Mil) would feel about a proposition limiting their rights or automatically sentencing pedophile priests to life imprisonment or worse. I don't stick my politics in their religion so I wish they would keep their religion out of my politics

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Prop 8 was essentially an arm of the Mormon church...

In any case, the supreme court will likely punt it. Thank God.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Jumping the gun, I text messaged a friend, "Homos Win", just because I liked how that sounded.

Today, I had to write him, "Wha-waaaa! Homos Lose".

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Jumping the gun, I text messaged a friend, "Homos Win", just because I liked how that sounded.

Today, I had to write him, "Wha-waaaa! Homos Lose".
Crushed your weekend wedding plans?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
High speed trains and more rights for chickens, yet gays can't marry. WTF??

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002

I think it's a totally loathsome decision, but as a state constitutional amendment, the state supreme court can't quash it? W/ the Federal Supremes being who they are, what grounds are there for them to be inclined to quash it?

Here's a link to a wikipedia table showing the states that have enacted constitutional amendments or other state statues banning or limiting gay marriage or civil unions: LINK

Banning of same sex marriage over time:

KEY:
Grey: No amendment
Lightest Red: Grants legislature authority to ban same-sex marriage
Red: Bans same-sex marriage
Dark Red/Rust: Bans same-sex marriage and civil unions
Black: Bans gay marriage, civil unions, and any marriage-like contract between unmarried persons

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I find it kind of ironic that the large black turnout is one of the reasons that prop 8 passed.
You don't agree that single mother, multi-child from several fathers, section 8, welfare families are better than "My two dads" ?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

What I want to see is a prop next election banning out of state dollars from funding ANY in-state prop. ie all funds must come from in-state donors.

That should put a stop to some of this crap.

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
What I want to see is a prop next election banning out of state dollars from funding ANY in-state prop. ie all funds must come from in-state donors.

That should put a stop to some of this crap.
That is not a bad idea :clapping:

Most of the Propositions on the CA ballot were funded by out-of-state interests

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
2 pts to start:
- prop 8 was targeted - i believe - toward the gay community, which i'm less than comfortable with ["SEC. 7.5. Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."]. if they truly were about "defining marriage", why didn't they mention anything about age of consent, lineal consanguinity, polygamy [using the definite article 'a' does not necessarily exclude an existing marriage], etc.?
- i also don't see marriage as a right any more than divorce is a right, for the mere reason it is at odds w/ religious rights when it comes to same-sex. if these 2 are indeed rights, they cannot be mutually exclusive, which means the law could recognize a marriage as defined by any kookie religion. that's the way i see it
i had a nice long reply here, but then remembered to whom i'd be replying. suffice it to say, this made me chuckle.
High speed trains and more rights for chickens, yet gays can't marry. WTF??
maybe if these were seen as 'moral' issues, it would have been different
I find it kind of ironic that the large black turnout is one of the reasons that prop 8 passed.
to us conservatives, it was quite expected. by & large, blacks are more strident (extremist?) in their conservatism, and don't appreciate people who choose a lifestyle to piggyback on their hard-fought civil rights accomplishments

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
to us conservatives, it was quite expected. by & large, blacks are more strident (extremist?) in their conservatism, and don't appreciate people who choose a lifestyle to piggyback on their hard-fought civil rights accomplishments
Um, no.

Blacks, as a group, are homophobic and religious.

Blacks also (again, as a group) as human nature seems to require, don't mind pulling up the ladder after they've made it up onto the roof.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Um, no.

Blacks, as a group, are homophobic and religious.

Blacks also (again, as a group) as human nature seems to require, don't mind pulling up the ladder after they've made it up onto the roof.
Next thing I know you'll call Colin Powell an Uncle Tom. Sanjuro won't have it.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
hope they can swim:

now i have that tool song in my head

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Looks like the Mormon church kicked a hornets nest. Teh gays are protesting outside momon temples in Los Angeles now

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
you know it will end up w/ hot momo sex in the streets

holy undergarments be damned

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
whats the point of elections then...the people voted and it passed!!
So if enough people vote for an amendment requiring that sacrifice of your first-born does that make it right?

It used to be that law that blacks could not vote, had to sit in the back of the bus etc. It was wrong and it was changed. In a country that is supposed to have a separation of church and state, why should I have to follow the religious teachings of a church that I am not a member of?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
ok then the majority voted...there's no one to blame except Californians
And a 70M propaganda campaign funded mostly out of state.

Separation of church and state is a fundamental American principle, are you a terrorist?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
So if enough people vote for an amendment requiring that sacrifice of your first-born does that make it right?

It used to be that law that blacks could not vote, had to sit in the back of the bus etc. It was wrong and it was changed. In a country that is supposed to have a separation of church and state, why should I have to follow the religious teachings of a church that I am not a member of?
The funny thing is you actually believe that separation of church and state really happens...the US has and always will be making decisions based on religion and money!

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Those guys n' gals need any torches?

I could drive some down.
I could arrange for a tanker truck of gasoline, a pallet of rags, and a couple of hundred cases of empty wine bottles to show up.

Maybe have the Zippo company sponsor the whole thing? Call it something like "Light up the Night"...

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
The funny thing is you actually believe that separation of church and state really happens...the US has and always will be making decisions based on religion and money!
kill this man for treason

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I could arrange for a tanker truck of gasoline, a pallet of rags, and a couple of hundred cases of empty wine bottles to show up.

Maybe have the Zippo company sponsor the whole thing? Call it something like "Light up the Night"...
Fvck yeah sister!

Gay outrage is the new black, now that racial bigotry is over.

I can see the headlines now. "Gay militants" :rofl: Of course I'd have to get some friends to show up in pickup trucks with flannel shirts and beer guts to join in. Just to confuse bill o'reilly.

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
The funny thing is you actually believe that separation of church and state really happens...the US has and always will be making decisions based on religion.
I understand that religion has always played a part in decisions. But does if have to continue that way or can we change that as we have changed so much since our country was founded.

I just don't understand why people cannot mind their own business, but must foster their beliefs on others.

Prop 8 was crafted solely as an attack on the gay & lesbian community. If it was truly about maintaining traditional marriage, why wasn't divorce outlawed? Premarital sex? With 50% of marriages ending in divorce, I see that as more of an attack on traditional marriage that a few gays tying the knot, yet the Catholics and Mormons left that untouched.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
And yet california courts have consitently given the middle finger to these bigots.

Just because my grandpa hated blacks and homos throughout his history (and loved da jeebus) doesn't mean it's okay to continue with it. You dig?