Quantcast

disappointed in California and Arkansas

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I understand that religion has always played a part in decisions. But does if have to continue that way or can we change that as we have changed so much since our country was founded.

I just don't understand why people cannot mind their own business, but must foster their beliefs on others.

Prop 8 was crafted solely as an attack on the gay & lesbian community. If it was truly about maintaining traditional marriage, why wasn't divorce outlawed? Premarital sex? With 50% of marriages ending in divorce, I see that as more of an attack on traditional marriage that a few gays tying the knot, yet the Catholics and Mormons left that untouched.

Don't get me wrong I totally agree with you..but I don't think taking religion out of politics will be happening anytime soon.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Don't get me wrong I totally agree with you..but I don't think taking religion out of politics will be happening anytime soon.
Sadly, I agree but every journey begins with the first step. If we never attempt that step than nothing ever changes.

Damn, this is getting heavy. I better pop over to the carnitas thread for some comic releif :brows:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
whats the point of elections then...the people voted and it passed!!
Some things should not be decided by popular vote, either because the issue is too complex to be comprehended by a non-expert based on text in a voters guide, or because it is not up to them to interpret the law.

I am not one of the folks that thinks this is of the same scale as racial segregation but I do think it's the right precedent. Brown v Board comes to mind.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
whats the point of elections then...the people voted and it passed!!
The constitution is designed to prevent the majority from oppressing the minority.

I'm sure if you had a ballot referendum re-legalizing slavery in southern states in the 1880s it would've passed, too.

Stupid.

Perhaps I should organize a protest in front of the jesus place in Santy Cruz...I'm sure I could get at least a few thousand to turn out.

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
The constitution is designed to prevent the majority from oppressing the minority.

I'm sure if you had a ballot referendum re-legalizing slavery in southern states in the 2008 it would've passed, too.

Stupid.

Perhaps I should organize a protest in front of the jesus place in Santy Cruz...I'm sure I could get at least a few thousand to turn out.
fixed. agree that issues like this shouldnt be left up to popular vote. otherwise im sure most southern state would still have separate but equal schools and such

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
In 2004 we had a measure to define marriage as between a man and a woman and the churches came out in force with lots of stickers and yard signs. I lived in a small town and it was amazing the amount of propaganda floating around. I voted against it as a middle finger response to the churches. As for the issue, I'm on the fence.....marriage is a religious thing that has been turned into a legal status. If gays can't marry, should I have been allowed to? I have a distaste for religion, yet had a ceremony and was married. The Governor recently signed a bill allowing civil unions for gays in Oregon, which I thought was the right thing to do

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
As for the issue, I'm on the fence.....marriage is a religious thing that has been turned into a legal status.
Marriage came before religion, in the U.S, it is very Christian-centric, but marriage is a human tradition across tons of cultures, not a religious tradition.

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
CA's vote has just changed the state constitution to strip rights from a minority. The state supreme's are governed by this document and amendment. The only recourse is Federal Court or to get the amendment removed from the constitution by another vote.

Funny that the two states that have legal gay marriage (MA and CT) arrived there via a decision by the courts. Protecting a minority from the tyranny of the majority rarely happens in the voting booth, but once you've gone and changed the document that governs the state courts, you've really f-ed things up.

In the interim, however, I do like the idea of going after the Mormon Church's tax exempt status, given their heavy involvement, financially and otherwise, in this political issue. Doubt it would ever happen, but if they want to talk the talk (and fund it) they should walk it.

And now, the people who've had their rights stripped away are, righteously, starting to go after their persecutors: "No More MR. Nice Gay."

Daniel Ginnes carried a banner declaring: "No More Mr Nice Gay." Brian Lindsey held up a sign billing Joseph Smith, founder of the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as a "prophet, polygamist, paedophile." Hundreds of others simply chanted: "Mormon scum."

More than 2,000 gay rights protesters marched on a Mormon temple in Los Angeles on Thursday, throwing the church and its followers on to the front line of the battle over California's decision to ban same-sex marriage.
"We should have got nasty a long time ago," said Mr Lindsey, who is originally from a Mormon family. "I'm not going to be polite any more, I'm not going to step around my belief that this is a nasty church with disgusting views which managed to buy an election. I don't care if it's people's religion. I'm going to stand up and fight it."

Thursday's protest, which gridlocked traffic in Hollywood for the second consecutive day, was mostly disciplined, with police reporting two arrests. Seven people were detained at a demonstration on Wednesday.

For the Mormon Church, it threatens a PR nightmare. The gay rights lobby boasts scores of prominent celebrity supporters who have already pledged vociferous support to the campaign to overturn Proposition 8.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
nice to see gays have caught on to another fine thug tactic: picking on old ladies

whatever ground they may have made could very well be undone by this behavior

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
nice to see gays have caught on to another fine thug tactic: picking on old ladies

whatever ground they may have made could very well be undone by this behavior
I'll use the words of the Supreme Court in Loving v Virginia

Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis...is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law...Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry...resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.
They should have stomped her, and not just the cross.

She wants to strip a basic civil right of man from somebody, if she was protesting against freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, or any other basic civil right of man, I would say the same thing. She is a bigot and a hypocrite.

Loving v Virginia banned racial discrimination for marriage, and hopefully Obama appoints some good judges and the same will happen for gay marriage.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Lets just say I know a lot of mormons, and amazingly, they are totally stunned about having their temples protested. Like they weren't expecting such a backlash, and it is quite funny.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Lets just say I know a lot of mormons, and amazingly, they are totally stunned about having their temples protested. Like they weren't expecting such a backlash, and it is quite funny.
when yoiu live in an insulated world (by design) it is very easy to believe that nothing exists outside of it. they never could have imagined that so many of the gays (or gay supporters... can't tell the difference) would live right downh the street from them.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Not an ounce of sympathy for this woman. She was aggressively but non-violently protested by people who she was calling sub-human to their faces. I think it was an impressive amount of restraint by the crowd considering the nature of crowd behavior, and the passion of the moment. A testament to that fact is that she saw no reason to move on. She clearly had no fear for her well-being and was just seeking to stoke the fire. Additionally, from the smugness of her demeanor, it seemed like the purpose of her vote was vindictiveness, not genuine belief.

**** her. **** her right in her little old lady ass.

Last edited:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Not an ounce of sympathy for this woman. She was aggressively but non-violently protested by people who she was calling sub-human to their faces. I think it was an impressive amount of restraint by the crowd considering the nature of crowd behavior, and the passion of the moment. A testament to that fact is that she saw no reason to move on. She clearly had no fear for her well-being and was just seeking to stoke the fire. Additionally, from the smugness of her demeanor, it seemed like the purpose of her vote was vindictiveness, not genuine belief.
agreed!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Some things should not be decided by popular vote, either because the issue is too complex to be comprehended by a non-expert based on text in a voters guide, or because it is not up to them to interpret the law.

I am not one of the folks that thinks this is of the same scale as racial segregation but I do think it's the right precedent. Brown v Board comes to mind.
I agree but until we develop another system what are we supposed to do...I mean why even have a democratic process if people are just going to appeal every one that doesn't come out just the way they want it??

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I agree but until we develop another system what are we supposed to do...I mean why even have a democratic process if people are just going to appeal every one that doesn't come out just the way they want it??
We have a representative democracy. We elect people to represent us, and they then devote their full time to understanding the complexities of government and evolving it in a way that advocates for their constituents.

I think ballot measures are idiotic in today's world. Almost no one can possibly understand them well enough to make an informed decision that takes the full impact of a measure into account, especially with all of the bull**** ads put out. People should not make laws. Legislators should make laws. That's what we pay them for.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Let me say this about protests: if you are not able fight or run, you might want to skip attendance.

I have not watched that video, but I will. I'm sure I will get a good laugh.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I think ballot measures are idiotic in today's world. Almost no one can possibly understand them well enough to make an informed decision that takes the full impact of a measure into account, especially with all of the bull**** ads put out. People should not make laws. Legislators should make laws. That's what we pay them for.
There a lots of issues that are perfectly capable of, even well suited to, decision by public ballot.
At least here in MA, there are detailed descriptions printed in the papers and the ballot has a concise description followed by a simplified summary (ie. a YES vote mean you hate teh gheys).

Legislators are still in the pockets of others and don't always reflect their constituents on many levels. The recent marijuana decriminalization is MA is good example. It would be political suicide to a career politician to vote for that yet the public ballot allowed for it to pass overwhelmingly.

I do think that issues like gay marriage, abortion etc be handled by the SC, however.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
I'm a big fan of direct democracy, however the more and more I realize that the majority of people are unfit to govern themselves, the more and more depressing it is.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
lucky for them, they don't govern themselves (3 posts up; 1st sentence)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hell yeah, they're getting all defensive and cocoony.

Mind you, crap like Prop 8 is business as usual in Yootah, so for someone to actually tell them "fvck off" is new.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081114/ap_on_re_us/suspicious_powder

which has me thinking: why is there so much anger, hostility, and now (perceived) domestic terrorism against pie-baking cultists, and not against blacks (who voted 70/30)? are blacks who voted against this harder to distinguish, or is there fear of literal & symmetric retribution, or are gays uncomfortable going after blacks for perceived racist reasons (which would be sweet irony, no doubt)?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
We'll know it was gay activists when the white powder turns out to be extacy.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i was going to suggest talc from a roadie replacing his tube, but yeah