Quantcast

Disappointed....

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Got my copy of RIDEBMX yesterday, and in the course of reading the Sean Burns interview (insane rider) came across blatant MTB hating by the interviewers. :banghead: In my mind, this was out of left field, and TOTALLY UNCALLED for. WTF?

Ferbert Raines: What's your view on mountain bike hijacked street moves?
Sean: Mountain bike hijacked street moves? Do you mean people grinding football goal posts with kicker ramps?

Ferbert: No I mean people on mountain bikes with tons of pads on jumping dowbn things.
Sean: You mean Russion climging mountain bike riders [laughs]? Sh-t is pretty retarded. It looks goofy for sure; it's probably almost as bad as rollerblading in my mind.

Ryan Fudger: Do you respect it at all, when they're doing 40-foot mountain drops or whatever?
Sean: Oh yeah, that stuff's gnarly...as long as they're doing it on a mountain. Hence the name mountain bikes! Maybe I'm buased because I still think it'd be cool if a BMXer did a big mountin-cliff drop It would be cooler than a mountain bike doing it. No shocks.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Yea Ryan Fudger doesn't like street mountain bike scene.

Some people are just purist and you have to deal with it. That's the case for anything.

Come to think about it, when it comes to riding street or park I'll always be on my 20. Going further, most all regulars including yourself has moved to 20s. I have to admit that I'd rather ride a mtn bike on the mountain more so that on street. And if you ride mtn bikes on street, suspension forks make no sense to me.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
a bike is a bike, no matter what you do, chances are it has been done or someone else is doing it. Some people need to get over themselves.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yet those same 'purists' will build up a fixie and ride it to the bar.
:rofl:

there's hate everywhere. get over it. these wastes of carbon-12 don't stop me from enjoying riding my bike. whichever bike, wherever I choose to ride. FWIW I ride 20" as well as 26". for street/park/freestyle stuff its 20".

If you REALLY wanna get into it, 20" riders can't complain, because BMX came from kids converting schwinn stingrays so they could copy dirtbikers and real moto-x riders.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
yea but a fixie is a commutor bike and is being used as it was originally intended for. I'm not into track bikes at all so I'm not defending them.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I don't think anyone needs to get over themselves, I think people shouldn't invest too much into other opinions and just ride. Everyone is going to have their view and there ain't a thing you can do about it. If someone has a genuine hate for another style of riding are you really bothered by it?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ya know whats funny, in my experience a lot of the hate is coming from riders who don't even wear pants designed for their gender :busted:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
yea but a fixie is a commutor bike and is being used as it was originally intended for. I'm not into track bikes at all so I'm not defending them.
they aren't "commuter" bikes. they are track bikes, meaning the original intended purpose of the fixed gear was riding a closed velodrome track. hipsters like them for the sleek look, the connection to working class urban bike messenger chic, and the fact that weekender joe schmo's won't want a bike that impractical.

a commuter bike would be optimized with features sensible for commuting like 2 brakes, gears, refelctors, headlight etc. a lot of people do ride commuter bikes.

BTW, i'm not hating on fixies, i can appreciate all bikes.

besides downhill MTB is probably the closest bicycles come to actually being "bicycle motocross."

and having been a bmx'er and skateboarder since the late 80s, ask skaters how they feel about how bmx ripped off tricks (smith, feeble) and snaked them in their own concrete skateparks.

in short, "PURITY" is bull****.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
it sucks, but i see it as someone else's opinion, someone i probably will never even see in person. i don't really care about the scenes anymore to an extent, just because the scene for me is riding my bike on my time with my friends. i want the industry to make money and keep putting out products, but i don't care how other people ride or what bike they choose to do it on. there are much more important things to worry about, and even if there weren't, it would still be stupid to care.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
they aren't "commuter" bikes. they are track bikes, meaning the original intended purpose of the fixed gear was riding a closed velodrome track. hipsters like them for the sleek look, the connection to working class urban bike messenger chic, and the fact that weekender joe schmo's won't want a bike that impractical.

a commuter bike would be optimized with features sensible for commuting like 2 brakes, gears, refelctors, headlight etc. a lot of people do ride commuter bikes.

BTW, i'm not hating on fixies, i can appreciate all bikes.

besides downhill MTB is probably the closest bicycles come to actually being "bicycle motocross."

and having been a bmx'er and skateboarder since the late 80s, ask skaters how they feel about how bmx ripped off tricks (smith, feeble) and snaked them in their own concrete skateparks.

in short, "PURITY" is bull****.
sounds like you have it all figured out.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Really I don't try to invest any of my energy getting bothered with the fight btwn styles of riding or other types or riders. I hear crap being talked at the park about this or that and I just laugh.

No it's my girl Alley Baggett

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
The point is that there's no right or wrong. What we do we do for the pure joy of doing it.... what kind of bike you are on is not worth making an issue of.
For the interviewers to bait the rider into dissing mtb is just ridiculous, imo.
No biggie, tearing others down is how a lot of people try to feel better about themselves, that will probably never change. I just thought that this instance of it was noteworthy. :D

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Hey, I just don't feel comfortable on a 20" so I ride a 26". Who cares? I don't hate on the boarders or 20" riders at the parks and they don't hate on me either.

Actually I get a lot of creds to be able to quarter with a 26". Sure I am old and not very good compared to most at the park, but everyone seems to get along where I am.

I just don't get the hate...

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
sittingduck, i personally do appreciate you posting the thread just because it does remind me never to subscribe to ride again. ryan fudger has always seemed like an idiot, but he also just likes pissing people off.

BMX bikes are a lot easier to trick then MTB's obviously, but some people just can't or don't want to ride them. i like both but ride a 20 mostly.

Oh and one other thing, BMX bikes are great for street/park etc..but the great thing about a hardtail jump bike is it can be your one bike to ride virtually anything on. Single track and DH as well as street/park/trails. BMX bikes can't do that.

Last edited:

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I thought Fudger asked a leading question to promote an agenda.

Fudger needs to realize it isn't "mountain biking" that's destroying his magazine sales..it's on-line media, video games and a million other things that compete for a 14 year olds dollar.

It's hard to imagine Burns taking a stand against "mountain bikers" or even giving the question a second thought.

For the record, I've been vibed more often by freeride MTBr's than any other cycling sub-culture. They are so far ahead, they've lapped the field.

-L

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
There are idiots out there in every sport, I just don't think they should have any say in what goes into a magazine. What happened to magazines that were about getting stoked to ride and not caring what others are doing?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I thought Fudger asked a leading question to promote an agenda.

Fudger needs to realize it isn't "mountain biking" that's destroying his magazine sales..it's on-line media, video games and a million other things that compete for a 14 year olds dollar.

It's hard to imagine Burns taking a stand against "mountain bikers" or even giving the question a second thought.

For the record, I've been vibed more often by freeride MTBr's than any other cycling sub-culture. They are so far ahead, they've lapped the field.
Burns tried to deflect the question initially, and only commented when pressed, is the impression I got.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Really I don't try to invest any of my energy getting bothered with the fight btwn styles of riding or other types or riders. I hear crap being talked at the park about this or that and I just laugh.

No it's my girl Alley Baggett
duuude, alley baggett is so 5 years ago

As far as the article, I think that's stupid to write but at the same time it is more fun if everyone doesn't "love" eachothers style or riding...keeps it interesting

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
duuude, alley baggett is so 5 years ago

As far as the article, I think that's stupid to write but at the same time it is more fun if everyone doesn't "love" eachothers style or riding...keeps it interesting
sorry but baggett is timeless