Quantcast

disc brake pad opinions

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
I have Koolstops in my Avids. They're alright but not great. They run a semi-metallic compound (partially sintered material, partially organic). I'd recommend using Shimano sintered ones, they seem to be the goods.

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
I ran those exact same pads in my 4 piston brakes, and they were allright, but they only lasted me half a season of racing. Overall I think they worked well, but they didn't last very long.

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
are they worth $13 a caliper shipped? I can get free shipping if i buy koolstops. i would buy the another brand if the damn shipping didn't kill me unless there's a site that has really cheap shipping for small items like that. Anyone know of some sites?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Don't buy EBCs. Reds wear rediculously fast, Greens have about as much power as Saddam right now, and the Golds are pretty crap compared to Shimano/Hayes/Avid brand sintered ones IMO. There are far better alternatives.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I run m755DH on both my bikes and in my experience shimano pads are the best. They last a long time and provide power second only to EBC red. The Kool Stops aren't bad, but if you can get shimano pads at your shop for $20 or so its worth the extra few bucks.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Brian HCM#1 said:
As of when? The greens work fine, well at least for the Hopes, XT and Hayes I've tried.
All the greens I have tried have sucked a comprehensive assortment of wangs. For that matter, no organic pads I've used have had the same stopping power as their sintered equivalents.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
thaflyinfatman said:
All the greens I have tried have sucked a comprehensive assortment of wangs. For that matter, no organic pads I've used have had the same stopping power as their sintered equivalents.
Sinthered is designed for wet weather riding.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
No, sintered is designed for high-friction, low-wear applications (the low wear thing is why they're good in the wet). The only downside is that they generate a lot of heat compared to organic pads, but if you're running 8" rotors and don't drag your brakes all the time then they're a far superior choice IMO.