Quantcast

disc brake pads

Sep 16, 2008
Blackstone, MA
I need some advice on disc brake pads. my pads are not stopping me as well as I'd like unless i really squeeze them, and if i do that they make that loud screeching sound.:mad: should I just get new pads or is it something more simpler. thanx for the feedback :rant:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
is there any pad left? if you've worn away the material, you could be down to metal on metal, which doesn't work well until it starts digging in and makes a lot of noise.

Otherwise, maybe they're glazed? Have they overheated at some point?

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Clean the pads with rubbing alcohol, lightly sand them with fine sandpaper, then clean with rubbing alcohol again. Do the same thing to your rotors also.

Sep 16, 2008
Blackstone, MA
thanx hopefully that works. also would you happen to know what would make my rear derailleur not shift out of the fifth ring. I either have to be going over bumps or push the chain around with my foot.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Could be a number of things causing shifting problems. Anything from a bent hanger or derailleur to just cable tension. If it's having trouble shifting up to a bigger cog, try more tension and if it hesitates to go to a smaller cog try less tension. If you have a rapid rise derailleur, reverse that theory. What rear derailleur do you have?