Quantcast

disc brake rotors

Ummm...

Bigger diameter gives more stop per unit squeeze.

Your caliper determines the proper rotor size.

I hate to say it, but you have to read the manual for your brakes or measure the old rotor if you're replacing it. If you don't have a manual, look on the web. Most of the manufacturers publish manuals on line.

John

You guys still going to Dalton?

R

RideMonkey

I don't think she is replacing, I think its an all new system. Yup thats the typical size for XC applications.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

:thumb: right on bud - thanks!

One more question - how do I measure torque? I mean, I know what it is, but I don't know how to ensure I'm using the right amount!
You have to have a torque wrench to measure torgue. Most skip the torque and go by feel, but be sure you are comfortable with that method.

R

RideMonkey

Well you would need a touque wrench and a set of socket attachments that included metric hex wrenches.

R

RideMonkey

JOJO can accurately apply the correct amount of torque completely by feel.

Shes my torque wench :eek:

So I go to home depot and I ask the man in the tool department if I'm in the right place for a torque wrench. He looks at IAB and starts talking to him!

Then I start explaining what I want to do with it - the socket attachments for metric hex wrenches - and granted, I probably explained it badly but that's their JOB to interpret what I mean! So he hands me a set of hex wrenches and says "that's what you need." GRRRRRR. Then we go over it again. He hands me a $60 wrench that is for lbs. I said, how about inches? He digs through a box and finds this old POS not even in any packaging - with dust on it. And I said "how about the socket attachments?" THe A-HOLE tries to sell me non metric parts. I handed the wrench back to him and walked out.

LOSER!

Well first, I would NOT go to home depot for ANY specialty tools...they are a CARPENTRY store, so they pretty much specialize in skil saws.

I would grab the yellow pages and look up "tools", under that heading you will see a "tools-torque" section (or should I hope for your sake...I know not where you live).
There may only be one place under that heading (see also torque), and they will usually be a calibration center...
the nice thing is that they will also carry brand name quality torque wrenches in virtually ANY range you could desire.
the Inch/lbs wrenchs are usually 1/4"drive (though you can get 3/8" drive)... so as far as the adaptors they will probably have them there, but if they do not, you can get those at Sears (craftsman tools) or at a Pep-boys autoparts store...
but be forewarned, a torque wrench is a delicate precision instrument, and as such will not be cheap...
but it will be indespensible in the PROPER care and maintenance of your bike... (isn't a $100 wrench bought ONCE better than a $100 bike part bought four times over because of incorrect installation?)

good luck and sorry about your "home depot experience"

There is no effective difference between the two diff. drive sizes.
They both function the same, but the 3/8" drive can sustain ALOT more torque than you will ever need. The ft/lbs wrench probably came in 1/2" drive, that is because it us used for MUCH higher values.
(150 ft/lbs = 1800 in/lbs)
There are NEVER going to be values in that range on your bike.

As far as a suggestion on which to purchase, I would buy an inch/lbs wrench in a 3/8" drive size, the reason being is that MOST allen adaptors come in 3/8" drive, and it will be difficult to locate them in the smaller 1/4" drive size. 3/8" is the most common socket and adaptor size out there.

let us know how your search turned out.