Quantcast

Disc Brake Suggestions?

Old_Dude

Monkey
I'm thinking of going with a mechanical disc up front - I just bought shifter/brake pods because I was assuming if I used an Avid mechanical disc (or most other mechanical disc brakes) I wouldn't need to change my V-brake levers - is this true?

Anyone have any recommendations for a disc brake setup which uses my current brake levers? I was looking at the Deore mechanicals - very inexpensive - what's wrong with them - are they too heavy or cheaply constructed?

Thansk,

OD

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Old_Dude
I was looking at the Deore mechanicals - very inexpensive - what's wrong with them - are they too heavy or cheaply constructed?

Thansk,

OD
What's wrong is that they suck. There are two versions, actually, the first version is the "standard" one, and it was so bad that Shimano had to come out with the "long arm" version which is supposedly better. I'd basically stay as FAR away as possible.

I've heard good and bad things about Hayes HMX-1s. I think they're probably good but you never know.

I've NEVER heard anything bad about Avids. They are the king of the mechanical brakes. And they whoop ass on most hydro brakes too. I think you could not go wrong if you got them.

You can use V-brake levers with ANY mechanical disc.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by Old_Dude
I'm thinking of going with a mechanical disc up front - I just bought shifter/brake pods because I was assuming if I used an Avid mechanical disc (or most other mechanical disc brakes) I wouldn't need to change my V-brake levers - is this true?

Anyone have any recommendations for a disc brake setup which uses my current brake levers? I was looking at the Deore mechanicals - very inexpensive - what's wrong with them - are they too heavy or cheaply constructed?

Thansk,

OD
I like the Avid mechanicals, but they have no modulation what so ever, the hayes mech. don't feel as crisp, but modulate better. All mechanical systems work with ANY v-brake lever.

D

dwnwrd

Yes. Just make sure you cut the excess length off rather than risk it getting caught in the spinning rotor.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by dwnwrd
Yes. Just make sure you cut the excess length off rather than risk it getting caught in the spinning rotor.
mine did that.

actually it didn't get caught, it just kinda clicked everytime it got hit and made the front hub sound like a freehub. i really thought i busted sumthin in the wheel:D

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by novatrek
does anything have to be done to the disk tabs to get a better alignment of the caliper......i think i read something about facing the tabs?
Not with avids, thanks to their unique adjustment system. The caliper will always be perfectly aligned with the rotor if you follow the instructions, which means no squealing, irregular pad wear or lack of power if your tabs did need to be faced. That was a problem with my last Marzocchi when I used Magura Julies, and there was no tool available then to face the tabs. I had to make spacers from an aluminum can to even things out. Ugh, that sucked. Fork manufacturers should face the tabs before the forks leave the factory. Same goes for frame manufacturers imo. Most shops still can't do it, and the tool is what, $300?

novatrek

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
inwood west virginia
can flak jacket cables be used for disk brakes....avids website isnt really clear.also when someone says run full cable housing for the rear brake do they mean from the lever to the caliper or from the last cable boss to caliper.my bike has 2 cable bosses for the rear brake and both are on the top tube.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Originally posted by novatrek
can flak jacket cables be used for disk brakes....avids website is really clear.also when someone says run full cable for thr rear brake do they mean from the lever to the caliper or from the last cable boss to caliper.my bike has 2 cable bosses for the rear brake and both are on the top tube.
Did you mean "full housing"?
If so, running full housing means all the way from the lever to the caliper. You can run just the inner housing from the last boss to the caliper if you're running cables like RideOns.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
This might be a stupid question......

I don't think I've ever seen 8" Avids. Do they make them? Has anybody ridden them? If so, I've got some 8" Hayes I'd like to sell.

D

dwnwrd

I'm using flak jackets and Avid 185s on my Bullit. It's run with one solid housing.