Quantcast

disc brake upgrade questions

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
having a new rear wheel built because I distroyed my current one yesterday. going disc, at least in the rear until the front rim needs to be replaced or I have more money. I ride mostly XC. what are peoples thoughts for a good disc brake setup for agressive xc riding. 6", 8"? mech or hydraulic? brand?

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
I heard the XTR pad wear out incredibly quickly........

new '04 XT looks really nice, if you go with mech. then go Avids, stay with 6" rotors.

oh, if you got the bucks, Magura Marta's, so light and insanely powerful.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i have Hope Minis on my XC bike. they're great. if you;re worried about weight just get the newer ones, were they're a one piece caliper

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Why not try Avid mechs in a 6"? You probably don't need an 8" rotor. It's an affordable way to get disk brakes and they work fantastic. I'm not dissing the Hopes, but the Avids are easier to come by and cheaper.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by Tweek
Why not try Avid mechs in a 6"? You probably don't need an 8" rotor. It's an affordable way to get disk brakes and they work fantastic. I'm not dissing the Hopes, but the Avids are easier to come by and cheaper.
I say go with the Avid 6" too. There are cheap, relativly light and they work great.

Re XTR pad comments, There is 2 kinds of pad and the resign ones (comes by default) don't last long but the metallic ones stop better and last longer.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Recently bought Avids for my XC ride, and put my Hayes w/ Bonz levers to my FR bike.

Based upon what you've said, I vote for the Avids. You can use them with your current lever, they are super cheap, work well enough for XC, and are insanely easy to install and adjust (no fluids, yippee!). For most XC, the 6" will be fine. The 8" will make a marked improvement in your stopping power, though, with just a slight weight and cost penalty.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Avids Mechs. :monkey:

I went on a 20 plus mile muddy epic yesterday - when I was done both front an rear calipers were encrusted and packed with mud - even so they continued to work perfectly. I am runnings the 7" size front and rear but that is overkill - 6" should do nicely.

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
i've got hayes hfx mag hydros. they work really well for me. i've heard people complain about poor modulation... but i think it just amounts to personal feel and preference. i don't have any trouble modulating the hayes, and the xt(r)s seem too loose for me.

as for rotor size, i'd stick with 6". doing xc, you won't need the extra stopping power (not to mention the added weight) of 8" rotors.

mechs are easier to set up and a little lighter, so if you're really concerned about weight, go with those.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Originally posted by rockracing
I heard the XTR pad wear out incredibly quickly........

I keep reading that too. I swear some of these magazine writers don't ride at all. Probably a bunch of fat tubs of goo. I just changed my front XTR pads after 7 months. And I could have left them on a bit longer. Shimano suggest replacement at .5mm and I think I was at just under 1 mm. I bought a whole group and I got both the metal and resin pads. The tech sheets said the metal lasted longer and stopped stronger. The resin supposedly modulate better.

If cash is concern than I'd recommend staying with mechanical brakes and Avid are said to be the tops in that categorie. Any one have experience with the Deore mechanical discs? The Deore Hydraulic is said to be very good but I've not heard about the mechanical version.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by oldfart
I keep reading that too. I swear some of these magazine writers don't ride at all. Probably a bunch of fat tubs of goo. I just changed my front XTR pads after 7 months. And I could have left them on a bit longer. Shimano suggest replacement at .5mm and I think I was at just under 1 mm. I bought a whole group and I got both the metal and resin pads. The tech sheets said the metal lasted longer and stopped stronger. The resin supposedly modulate better.

If cash is concern than I'd recommend staying with mechanical brakes and Avid are said to be the tops in that categorie. Any one have experience with the Deore mechanical discs? The Deore Hydraulic is said to be very good but I've not heard about the mechanical version.
My front resign pad got grinded down to the medal in 1 month but somehow I am still riding on my original pads in the back (6 months).

bad batch or maybe too many front manual?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Nobody seemed to address the the fact that 8" rotors simply don't fit on most frames. Few XC frames will take them at all and QR forks are not usually recommended for them.
I would recommend using Avid mechs if price is a big concern. If you can step it up a bit, Hayes HFX9s or Deore hydros are good and relatively cheap.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
ordered Avid 6" mechanicals to go with my new F519 wheel that I'm having built with xt disk hubs. Should be a decent setup for my first disc setup.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I think you will be pleased but I would have started with the front disk... too bad it was the rear wheel that died first. I have tried several disk set ups on various bikes - I do not think that Avids are a step down from any other mechanical system.

Originally posted by dfinn
ordered Avid 6" mechanicals to go with my new F519 wheel that I'm having built with xt disk hubs. Should be a decent setup for my first disc setup.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I think you will be pleased but I would have started with the front disk... too bad it was the rear wheel that died first. I have tried several disk set ups on various bikes - I do not think that Avids are a step down from any other mechanical system.
Agreed on both points. Front makes more sense to have a disk on (not a big deal). Avids are really nice, especially for the price. Some like them more than hydros. I don't really like them any more than Hayes or Shimano disks but they are the best mech's out there.