Quantcast

Disc brakes banned from UCI cylcocross races

mootsy

Chimp
Apr 30, 2008
Okay, so I've come to this thread pretty late, and only found it by googling cross bikes w/ disc brakes (looking for a solid commuter and fun off-road mud bike). Here's what I've come up with...

Most of you all are wankers. If the UCI wants to ban discs for safety's sake (burns, cuts, etc), perfect, sounds good, that should be the stated reason. If they are banned because they're "stupid and only slow you down" [paraphrasing] as one of you jackasses stated, what's the problem? That would put the idiots using discs at the back. No worries right? And discs would fall out of favor and only be present at the backyard races. I'm not seeing the issue for "top racers" like two of you say you are.

SuspectDevice, I think you're just being too much of a Masshole. Relax, let people have their opinions, and accept that the rest of the world doesn't really care about you.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Wow, 4 and a half years on, and this thread is back from the dead.
Discs on a tiny tire are still pretty useless, and the last of the ill-conceived mass-production disc brake 'cross bikes have left the market...

In the interim, neutral tech support zones and tool handups have been allowed in XC races. Oh my! And I've started hiring cross racers to race XC for my team. And they're kicking ass... Sometimes on mountain bikes with cyclocross tires and disc brakes?

Yet on the elite 'cross level (the only level that this rule STILL applies to) I have the same riders asking me to set them up with rim brakes that barely slow them down...

Real race bikes are so different than bikes with dropbars for riding around in the woods. A whole different category even. If you're looking for a fun versatile drop bar bike off the shelf, check out Rawland bikes out of Minnesota. They use 650b wheels, which are an infinitely better choice for mixed road/trail use.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Okay, so I've come to this thread pretty late, and only found it by googling cross bikes w/ disc brakes (looking for a solid commuter and fun off-road mud bike). Here's what I've come up with...

Most of you all are wankers. If the UCI wants to ban discs for safety's sake (burns, cuts, etc), perfect, sounds good, that should be the stated reason. If they are banned because they're "stupid and only slow you down" [paraphrasing] as one of you jackasses stated, what's the problem? That would put the idiots using discs at the back. No worries right? And discs would fall out of favor and only be present at the backyard races. I'm not seeing the issue for "top racers" like two of you say you are.

SuspectDevice, I think you're just being too much of a Masshole. Relax, let people have their opinions, and accept that the rest of the world doesn't really care about you.
Wow, what a great 1st post! You're a douchebag!

Hey, why don't we ban carbon fiber as well? When you crash on steel bikes, you won't get the splinters.

Do you think really think UCI is some all-knowing governing body? I think they are a bunch of luddites that would have everyone on 22lb bikes if they thought they could get away with it.

Let me give you a little look into the future of disc brakes: as the wheels get lighter and lighter and depend on carbon fiber more and more, guess what kind of brake they would have use instead of cork pads superheating on the descent down Mt Ventoux?

And by banning disc brakes on CX bikes, they set this possible safety innovation back 1000 years.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
For me, part of what makes cross fun is that out of control, I can't slow down feel.....on the several cross bikes I've had the brakes never worked that well. If the UCI would allow discs, and I had a frame/fork that accepted them, I would use em.....but as it is I can't do any of the Grand Prix races on a disc equiped bike

The devil's advocete:

This whole conversation seems to support the concept that racing is stupid. Unscrewing the inscrutiable over minor component differences, multiple bikes and hordes of pit support, major expenditures for negligible gain and lots of folks hot under the collar about every aspect of the ritual.

Just go for a ride.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
The devil's advocete:

This whole conversation seems to support the concept that racing is stupid. Unscrewing the inscrutiable over minor component differences, multiple bikes and hordes of pit support, major expenditures for negligible gain and lots of folks hot under the collar about every aspect of the ritual.

Just go for a ride.
:plthumbsdown: Racing is fun, thats why we do it.....plus, its a chance to see people from all around the state that I don't get to see on a regular basis

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The devil's advocete:

Just go for a ride.
Racing is more than just stupid, it's a sanctified religious-level of stupidity based on asceticism and self-denial. The perfect antidote to America. Hence the importance.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
had to look that word up...

as·cet·i·cism (-st-szm)
n.
1. The principles and practices of an ascetic; extreme self-denial and austerity.
2. The doctrine that the ascetic life releases the soul from bondage to the body and permits union with the divine.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
For me, part of what makes cross fun is that out of control, I can't slow down feel.....on the several cross bikes I've had the brakes never worked that well. If the UCI would allow discs, and I had a frame/fork that accepted them, I would use em.....but as it is I can't do any of the Grand Prix races on a disc equiped bike
I personally don't care if UCI allows disc brakes for CX bikes. One thing you have acknowledge is the slower speeds which comes from tiny rises from CX races, so maximum braking power is not as critical.

Mostly I am waiting to see disc brakes on road bikes battle. I am glad the Zinn article was posted; it publicizes what I have been saying.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I personally don't care if UCI allows disc brakes for CX bikes. One thing you have acknowledge is the slower speeds which comes from tiny rises from CX races, so maximum braking power is not as critical.

Mostly I am waiting to see disc brakes on road bikes battle. I am glad the Zinn article was posted; it publicizes what I have been saying.
The biggest area it would help in CX is avoiding crashes; there tends to be a lot of crashes and they are hard to avoid when you can't really slow down

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I didn't race CX this past year, and won't get a dedicated CX bike. The season is just too short here for me to justify it. I will likely race the slow class (no road results to bump me to a higher category and I'm not going to race enough CX to bump up) so I can race it on my XC race bike (which has rim brakes). I don't think they need to be banned though....