Quantcast

Disc Brakes

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Any suggestions for running dual disc brake setup. I was thinking either Avid BB7's (cheap) or Hope Trials (expensive).

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the BB7's as I'm on lowcash. Why do you suggest the 203mm rotors? I was thinking 160's.

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Well it's not exactly a trials specific frame (Transition TOP), but I would like to see the tabs ripped off, it will give me an excuse to get a CZAR Freetrials frame.

I know the 203's will give more power was just wondering if I could get away with 160's so I didn't have such huge rotors on a small frame.

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
I'm not afraid of the tabs breaking (I'll post pics if they do!) besides there are no V-bosses so I have to use disc. Anyone use anything besides Avid Mechs?

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
i doubt youll rip the tabs off a freeride frame
careful-- trials moves can and likely will rip the disk tabs at the very least, could also completely shear your rear drop-out (on that side)...

lots of different stresses from just 'normally' stopping .

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Well, I decided to take some parts off my big bike so I temp finish my TOP and get back to trialsing. It rides OK, I'll have to take some pics so u guys can have a laugh. As it is now I have just the rear brake which is a Saint along with a Saint hub. A bit ghetto but at least I can practise and work on getting some skills back!

LINEbyLINE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2008
where did people get the idea that disc tabs are going to get ripped off? I haven't been riding trials too long but I have NEVER heard anyone even mention tabs coming of on their frame. Maybe its just so common that no one bothers to mention it anymore, but i doubt it.

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
So here it is, my ghetto ride! I'm really enjoying riding it, been awhile since I rode street/trials and man do I need to practice.

I'm just waiting for the chain to jump wit this setup :busted:

Last edited:

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Yeah, I'm gonna go SS or maybe two speed, single rear cog, just don't have parts or $ for it right now but I couldn't wait to ride the frame. Prolly go with a bit long stem also. Gonna stay soft up front as I was rigid for a while but I'm not smooth enough and it was killin my body.

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Update on Saint rear disc:

I'm not liking the play that has developed where the rotor attaches to Shimano's proprietary interface with the hub. I lock up the brake and I can still feel the rotor move slightly :(
I'm wondering if it's just a matter of time before something breaks, like the rivets that hold the rotor on. I don't do anything big but I don't want to get hurt!

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Discs and trials can be iffy. Yes disc tabs and rear drop outs do snap off from trials riding. It comes down to how the bike is designed. Most frames the rear dropout and tab were designed with slowing and stopping the bike while riding forward. Trials keeps the rotor locked and the tire rotates backwards sometimes putting completely opposite forces on the tabs from what they are designed for. The keeping the rotor locked is what puts so much stress on the bike. It sounds like you have already found a weak spot with Shimano centerlock hubs.

I typically do not like a disc in the rear of a trials bike. The brakes always seem to have some play which drives me nuts. Disc in the front is okay since the front does not see the stresses of the rear brake.

160 rotor should work fine with trials, just keep everything clean and locking power will be sufficient.