sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Good quality stuff:

Hugi FR
Hope
Hadley
Ringle Abbah (kinda so-so, never failed on me but don't blow me away, other people love 'em to death)

Those are all hardcore-minded hubs, which I'm assuming you're looking at. For XC stuff, you might wanna look at the lighter-weight models from all those makers. King is, well, the king. Hugi makes the 240, which I don't know a lot about, I have the front hub which is great but what it ALL comes down to is the rear hub.

edit: OK, I just read your other thread. I'd say look at Hope, Hadley, and Ringle Abbah QR hubs, skip the Ringle Disc Jockey hubs, I have a pair and they really suck. The rear is just junk. King is awesome if you have the money. I shop for hubs by the rear mechanism 1st. Then weight and price. How good the engagement mechanism is, is critical. Hope, Hadley, and King have great mechanisms, same with Ringle although IMHO it feels less "positive" but it has a very quick engagement. I have an older Hugi that is awesome, but I've heard that the newer ones use a less reliable engagement mechanism, so I'm not sure what to say about 'em.

Check the reviews on mtbr.com for other opinions.....

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
hugi 240's are both cheaper and lighter than king hubs, if you're into that thing. And they seem pretty good so far, they make tons of hub for the high end oem market (bontrager, magura, older hayes superlights, etc). And i believe they use the same basic engagement mechinism from the past, but updated with two springs inside instead of just one.

Oct 29, 2003
if you are lookin for something even cheaper than the hopexc outland hubs are a gr8 buy for the money6 bolt good freehub body and run on sealed cartridge bearings £25 (f) £30 (R)

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
I'm running Hope Bulbs front and rear, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I love the quick engagement on the rear, wonderful for stunts and urban. They hold up quite nicely to punishment for as light as they are.