Quantcast

disc vs V brakes

mnack

Chimp
Jul 15, 2001
Costa Rica
Help a poor brutha out and let me know what is the difference between disc brakes and V brakes? I would love to know all about it. Adjusting them, weight and what not. I don't live in an area at the moment where I have a lot of available resources on the subject.
Thanks

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
The advantages of Hydraulic disc brakes are, far less maintanance, very consistent braking no matter the weather, more power and therefore less arm pump on long descents. But they cost a lot, and weigh more than V type brakes. A Hayes hydraulic is not much more than an XTR setup but then you have to add in the extra weight of the hubs and adaptors needed to mount the brakes.

Mechanical discs still have the all weather advantages and if done right have more power than a rim brake but you still have to maintain the cable. So far I think the mechanicals are quite a bit heavier than any rim brake. You can usually use V brake levers too.

Still the lightest set up is V brakes. They work very well when set up properly but suffer as do all rim brakes when its wet. Plus you go through pads and rims at a mad rate if its consistently wet when you ride, like here in North Vancouver. I used to go through about 2 or 3 rims a year and maybe 12 pairs of pads front and rear as well, plus about 6 cables and housings. With My Hayes I've done in about 3 pairs of pads, one set of rotors and I've bled the brakes 3 or 4 times in 2.5 years.

Hydraulic discs are the set up of choice here.

mnack

Chimp
Jul 15, 2001
Costa Rica
Thanx for sharing, I think disc brakes are a little more than I can commit to right now. My riding conditions and ability don't really warrant them as of yet. But that day will come and when it does whoo boy we'll all be havin' some good fun then.

Thanks again

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Riding style and conditions should have nothing to do with your purchase! Hydro discs are the best investment I have made in years simply due to the fact that once they're set - no more twiddling! I would suggest a low-pressure system like Magura Julie. The stopping power is unrivaled and they are truly all-weather/all-terrain.

My DM 0.02

B-Loco

Chimp
Aug 13, 2001
South Florida
Helltaco -

I think ranger was trying to say that making the inital investment of getting discs is worth it.

When I was building up my new ride it probably would have been alot cheaper to get disc's right off the bat instead of (maybe) upgrading later. Cause than you have to buy new wheelset, new brakes and levers, and sell the old stuff.

I still think riding and skill level should prevail when spending money - but hey we all have bought stuff we don't *really* need.

My current ride far outmatches my riding and skillset but I thought it was worth it to get a good frame and that it would be a good investment for when I get kick a$$ good! :)

Originally posted by B-Loco
Helltaco -

I still think riding and skill level should prevail when spending money - but hey we all have bought stuff we don't *really* need.
Dat's juss wat I meens, if it isn't realy jused, some peoples gots wat day tinks "better" stuff wats ta do wit dare money.

B-Loco

Chimp
Aug 13, 2001
South Florida
HT -

I guess I was breaking it down a bit too much. And subconsciously trying to validate my frame purchase (over-purchase? ;) )

But I agree with you...even though it makes me feel like crap :D