Quantcast

Discover Whiteface Weekend

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Hope to see some of you monkeys at Discover Whiteface Weekend. Trails are fully buffed out and ready to rip. We will be adding a few new sections of single-track before we open. Think natural drops. I will be posting pictures of the new features and trail work on this thread.

Friday: 6-19-09:

* Opening day at Whiteface:10:00 am till 4:00 pm.

Saturday: 6-20-09.

* Open riding from 10:00 am till 4:00 pm.
* Live music for your enjoyment in front of the gondola from 1:00 pm till 4:00 pm
* The Lake Placid Center for the Arts has been reserved from 7:00 pm till 9:00 pm (or later of needed) http://www.lakeplacidarts.org/. This is a great place to see a bike film. Especially in 3-D!
* Free of charge showing of Truth & Beauty by Nat Bartholomew in 3-D.
* There will also be a pro trials show prior to the film by Sam Perkins.
* During the film all will receive a coupon for a free micro brew at the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery for the after film party.

Sunday: 6-21-09:

* Open from 10:00 am till 4:00 pm
* 12 noon will be our 1st of 5 monthly pump track challenges.

Pump Track Challenge Rules:
01) No chains allowed
02) $10.00 to enter and a 25 participant maximum
03) Any rider that can do 10 laps in 3 minutes goes into the winners' pool.
04) All riders that make it to the winners' pool will have 1 chance for the 2 fastest laps
05) 1 winner takes all (up to $250.00)

For more on Discover Whiteface Weekend:
http://downhillmike1.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/discover-whiteface-day/

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
camping at chez dh mike?

that was so much fun the first year.

I am sure there will be a bunch of tents set up at my cabin, parties every night, etc. Just shoot me a pm or follow me home from the mountain and set up your tent. For those of you that have not been here yet, there is room for at least 12 tents. I already told my landlord I will be having a party, and some friends may be camping here that weekend.We will either have a keg here for all, or a bunch of cases of beer. See when we have people come to the mountain we like to put the money back into trail features and beer.

The trails are so nice right now. Not a stone, branch or loose rock on any of our trails. The permanent rocks and all the roots are showing up in all there glory. New trail maps, new trail names and new signage will be a big improvement this year. We want you to discover Whiteface on 2 wheels.

Keep your fingers crossed for a few new drops to be approved (think natural). Elias is meeting with the assistant manager right now about the new drops and single-track. Once approved, pictures of the trail and feature work will follow on this thread. They will be ready to shred for opening day. Our new dual slalom course should be ready for opening weekend too.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
pump track looks sick!

how are you going to start w/out a chain tho? a starting box?

That picture of the pump track was from last year. 3 new lines have been added already and it is much better.

To start the pump track challenge you just roll in from the official start. This competition was a blast last year. Big races can be fun, but these chill events rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last year we actually talked with the competitors before the competition and figured out the rules right then.

DH Alicia's husband won. Hopefully Jesse will be back this year to defend his title.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Anybody on the east coast that hasn't checked out this mountain needs to get up there, and this sounds like a perfect opportunity.

As more trails and features are developed there, it's going to turn into an even more amazing place to ride. Really wish I wasn't injured. Would love to make it up for this.

Hope it's an awesome weekend for you guys, Mike!

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Plan to be there on July 4th, plane tickets have already been purchased and can't wait to see what Whiteface has to offer.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Here is the latest press release from The Olympic Regional Development Authority:

Whiteface Mountain Bike Park operated by High Peaks Cyclery Opens June 19

Purchase a Mountain Bike Season Pass by June 18 and Save $50

WILMINGTON, N.Y. – The Whiteface Mountain Bike Park opens for the summer season Friday, June 19 with a Discover Whiteface weekend. The weekend boasts riding the trails, a free movie viewing, a pro trials show, the first monthly Pump Track Challenge, live music and more. High Peaks Cyclery, in conjunction the New York State Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) manages and operates the mountain biking facility.

The Whiteface Mountain Bike Park opens the trails 10 a.m. The park features 27 hand-built downhill and cross country mountain bike trails that twist and run between the ski trails. These trails range from gentle cruisers for beginners to technical single tracks and wooden features for advanced riders. A shuttle bus ferries riders to the beginner/intermediate trails while experts can ride the Cloudsplitter Gondola to the top of Little Whiteface to access advanced terrain. The trails go through streams and woods, meander next to waterfalls and are truly spectacular.

Saturday, June 20, features an evening of free mountain biking entertainment. Local pro rider Sam Perkins will perform his one-of-a-kind pro trials show, showcasing the latest and greatest moves on his bike at 7 p.m. at the Lake Placid Center for the Arts. At 7:30 p.m. the party moves inside for a free viewing of Truth & Beauty – the first-ever mountain bike film to be shown in 3-D – and it even features a few minutes of last year’s Whiteface 5K Downhill race. Then it’s on to the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery for the after-party, where all attendees of the movie 21 and over may receive a complimentary micro-brew.

The final day of Discover Whiteface begins with the first monthly Pump Track Challenge at noon. A limit of 25 riders has been set, with an entry fee of $10 per rider. Any rider that can do 10 laps in three minutes goes into the winners’ pool. All riders that make it to the winners’ pool will have one chance for the fastest two laps, with the winner taking all the prize money.

Local band Damaged Goods will once again be performing their classic rock right in front of the Cloudsplitter Gondola from 1 p.m. until closing to wrap up the weekend’s festivities.

The Whiteface Downhill Mountain Bike Park will be open from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. daily. Free guided tours are available weekends at 1 p.m. and 3:45 p.m. Lift tickets, mountain bike rentals, lessons, clinics and more are available right on site. Please note that all riders are required to wear a helmet while biking at Whiteface. Purchase a season pass by June 18 and save $50. To learn more about Discover Whiteface Weekend and the Whiteface Mountain Bike Park’s schedule of operation, program rates, rentals, and more, please log on to downhillmike.com. or http://downhillmike1.wordpress.com/2009/05/18/discover-whiteface-day/.

For more information on ORDA venues and events and for web cams from five locations, please log on to whitefacelakeplacid.com.

– ORDA –

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well then, come on up! How was Snow?
The course was awesome! Such a fast track. I went down hard during practice Sunday morning and was in too much pain to race. Check the POC thread, I'm looking for new body armor now.

And I might try to talk Liz into coming to Whiteface, seeing as how we could get a place that has normal amenities. She doesn't do the camping and not showering thing lol.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The course was awesome! Such a fast track. I went down hard during practice Sunday morning and was in too much pain to race. Check the POC thread, I'm looking for new body armor now.

And I might try to talk Liz into coming to Whiteface, seeing as how we could get a place that has normal amenities. She doesn't do the camping and not showering thing lol.
Whiteface is a great place to take the significant other or family, there is a ton of stuff for them to do while you are riding. My wife usually goes into Lake Placid and spends a lot of money on clothes and useless stuff, but at least I'm riding my DH bike:clapping:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
sounds like a good time, I'm going to try and make it friday, but we'll see what family obligations hold for me

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Whiteface is a great place to take the significant other or family, there is a ton of stuff for them to do while you are riding. My wife usually goes into Lake Placid and spends a lot of money on clothes and useless stuff, but at least I'm riding my DH bike:clapping:
Can you elaborate a bit more on what to do? My wife and daughter will tag along but will not go along on the bike riding days, if stuff to do is close by they may tag along.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Can you elaborate a bit more on what to do? My wife and daughter will tag along but will not go along on the bike riding days, if stuff to do is close by they may tag along.
Lake Placid is about a 15 minute car ride from Whiteface, the amount of activities there are endless especially for a weekend. Lots of small shops and places to eat on the strip in town, tons of Olympic stuff to do, ice rink where the miracle on ice happened, the ski jumping site just outside of town is really cool.

DHmike will elaborate more than me but there is a ton to do. Last time I was there my wife dropped me off in the parking lot with tools, a cooler and a chair and she spent the day in town. It was great.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
There's tons of hiking all over the place, the "high peaks" area is about 20 minutes from Whiteface. The town of Lake Placid has lot's of shopping. There's also rock climbing and road riding etc... I took my gf to a place called "Ausable Chasm" last year. There's a really deep gorge there and you can tube down. It's a great family activity. It's about 1 hour from Whiteface. You can also find a creek and just spend the day swimming. All in all lots to do and I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface... Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Thanks guys but the girls aren't into sporting stuff, more into music, arts, etc. Guess that the drive up to Whiteface will be just a boys only affair.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
After speaking with Sam Perkins (pro trials rider doing the trials demo before the film)he reminded me of the bunny hopping contest.
Before the film Truth & Beauty and after Sam's demo we will have a bunny hopping contest. Nothing fancy, just a bar that we raise after each jump. Last year Joey Appleton edged out Sam with his final hop of just under 3 feet.
So, bring your hard tail and be part of the show if you want.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Sounds awsome! I have never been to Whiteface to ride so count me in. It's my birthday 6/19 so my wife can't say boo about it. Hey Mike, do you have room for a Dodge Ram + Lance Camper(truck bed), a couple of dogs and a woman? I'm pumped (haha) about the pump track! It's birthday #34 so I plan on being totaly sh*t-faced:bonk: Friday night! IH8RICE & JonKranked I expect to see u there! :cheers:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Drunk people with dogs camped out in my yard. Hmmm. Sounds like fun!

reasons to bring a couple of bikes (if possible):

The Whiteface Pump Track is located approx. 600 vertical feet above the base area. Meaning there is approx. 1,900 feet of very nasty Whiteface like downhill terrain above the pump track. What others have done in the past is just leave their big bike down below, and take our shuttle bus with their hard tail right to the pump track.

This year if you want we can bring your hard tail to the pump track for you. Just bring a cable and lock, and ride your big bike right to the pump track where your hard tail will be locked and waiting for you. At the end of the day your hard tail will be locked at the base area for you.

Last edited:

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Drunk people with dogs camped out in my yard. Hmmm. Sounds like fun!

reasons to bring a couple of bikes (if possible):

The Whiteface Pump Track is located approx. 600 vertical feet above the base area. Meaning there is approx. 1,900 feet of very nasty Whiteface like downhill terrain above the pump track. What others have done in the past is just leave their big bike down below, and take our shuttle bus with their hard tail right to the pump track.

This year if you want we can bring your hard tail to the pump track for you. Just bring a cable and lock, and ride your big bike right to the pump track where your hard tail will be locked and waiting for you. At the end of the day your hard tail will be locked at the base area for you.
Sounds like a plan. But my hardtail is a Foes 4x. Is the pump track fun race hardtails only?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
You can ride our pump track on any type of bike. With the new lines we added the "S" turns can be elimniated making it easier on any kind of bike.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
This new drop is on a new section of single-track just below the pump track:

It measures 5 feet down and 12 feet out:

Short video of new drop:
Yes the suspension needs to be dialed in still on his bike. It's a new bike and we have been busy building.

The Whiteface Pump track has many new lines. Volunteers showed up big time this weekend and many improvements were made.

Not so short unedited video of new lines in pump track:

The dual slalom course will have berms and rollers the whole way down:

More pictures:http://downhillmike1.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/downhill-biking-more-fun-and-more-affordable-than-ever/

Last edited: