Quantcast

Discovery Team Getting the Boot!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The hardest thing for the average fan (me) is knowing what what all pros know.

Is Basso dirty or clean? Sounds like the other pro teams have convicted him already.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
It comes down to a rule the group voted on a few months ago. Disco broke it when they hired Basso plan and simple.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Okay this is too much. UCI = Whiny and pushy with a "short guy" complex. Pro Tour Teams = Whiny, spoiled, and pathetic!

UCI flexing, trying to do the "what we say goes", and the pro tour teams all whining because the, "gentlemens agreement"/Ethics code. That no one would sign someone if they were suspect of anything. Seems to me Basso was cleared by a Judge... So what, does the press have to clear him before its official?

All that aside... poor Levi. He didnt do anything. First thought he was signing on as the new American Team leader of the great American team. Then they push him aside and sign an Italian to lead, knowing it could put the team at risk... and now it has. Levi is taking it in the ass. They need to either let him out of his contract or Basso needs to be a friggin man and say... okay, I put you all at risk so I am stepping down.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Okay, so there is a bit more news on the Basso/Disco front:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec12news2

Can someone explain this to me? What is the current status of the OP investigations? Are Spanish police still investigating? WADA involvment? I just don't know what exactly the teams are expecting from Basso et al to have them clear to race.

I am of the opinion that if a rider is cleared for competition by the relevant governing bodies, then that rider should be allowed to compete. There should not be any organized pressure on a rider to prove his or her innocence- the burden of proof rests with the accusers and the regulatory bodies. Teams can do what they want as long as it is in compliance with the regulations.

Xterradork

Chimp
Sep 11, 2006
My understanding is Basso/Disco CAN still race. As the article explained:
"However, the vote does not mean that the American team loses its UCI ProTour license, which enables it to race in all of the ProTour events. "

This body that dropped Disco is nothing more than a glorified team owners club. We will still see the boys in blue at the Giro, the Tour, etc. The UCI and the grand tour organizers know a money maker when they see one. Of course, this could up the chances of a Frenchman winning the Tour if they ban everyone else.

splat

Nam I am
"However, the vote does not mean that the American team loses its UCI ProTour license, which enables it to race in all of the ProTour events. "

This body that dropped Disco is nothing more than a glorified team owners club. We will still see the boys in blue at the Giro, the Tour, etc. The UCI and the grand tour organizers know a money maker when they see one. Of course, this could up the chances of a Frenchman winning the Tour if they ban everyone else.
your giving the UCI too Much credit , I don't think they are that smart

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA

Right, I kind of thought this was the case...

but I still don't seem to get the whole story... why do the other ProTour teams insist on this Basso ban (powerless though it may be) if he has been officially cleared? Is there any investigation still going?

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
My take on this, other team managers are po'd because they wanted to get Basso, but were to slow to act.

bac

Monkey
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
My take on this, other team managers are po'd because they wanted to get Basso, but were to slow to act.
That's the long, and the short of it. Barring some sort of new doping problems, this is the absolute favorite in both the Giro, and le Tour. Riis won't want to face Basso in either.

Of course, anything can (and this year DID) happen, and we're miles, and miles, and miles from Basso racing in either event. This is going to be a crazy year.