Quantcast

Discovery without Hincapie?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Wow:

Johan Bruyneel is looking for a new title sponsor to take over from the departing Discovery Channel, but George Hincapie may not be around to ride for whoever that may be. The American road race champion, whose contract expires the end of this year, is said to be in touch with T-Mobile, but has told his current team leadership that nothing has yet been settled, according to SportWereld.

Luuc Eisenga, technical director for T-Mobile, refused to either confirm or deny the rumours, saying: "It is still too early to name names."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Switching from Discovery to T-Mobile is like cancelling your Titanic reservations and booking passage on the Hindenberg.

I am sure it has to do more with money and aging than integrity.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
They should build the entire team around George and one-day events. Not because he's the greatest ever, or because he deserves to finally get some real support in Roubaix, but because in light of recent scandals it seems unlikely any pro team will survive an entire three week tour.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
They should build the entire team around George and one-day events. Not because he's the greatest ever, or because he deserves to finally get some real support in Roubaix, but because in light of recent scandals it seems unlikely any pro team will survive an entire three week tour.
I disagree. I became a Tom Boonen fan during the 2002 Paris-Roubaix, when he went with the early break and worked entirely for Hincapie when the winning break moved up.

Museeuw broke away solo and Boonen did all the work until Hincapie fell into a ditch.

I can't blame the guy for a crash, but Hincapie took no pulls while Boonen wasted his efforts in trying to chase down Museeuw.

After that, I figure Hincapie is a great rider but not good enough to be the elite in the Classics. There might be no better American, but if they had ejected Hincapie and kept Boonen...