Quantcast

Dishwashers - looking for some advice

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
With breaking my wrist recently and just plain laziness, I am ready to buy a dishwasher. I want one that actually cleans dishes. I've used ones in the past that just don't work well at all and I want nothing to do with those. What dishwasher do you have? Does it clean dishes well? How much did it cost you? Did you install it yourself?

Let me know! My budget is for everything installed is $1,000.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have a Bosch and it works really quite but I wish I had bought the model that even more quire and needs a light on the floor so you know its even on.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've have great luck with all my dishwashers - just make sure their I9s are passable as the feds are really cracking down on affordable labor...

Truth is - I've lived with and without dishwashers - I think its easier to just wash the dishes by hand. Loading and unloading a dishwasher is a pita.

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
As you embark on your new career, there are a couple of things you need to do right away.

First, buy the best damned full suspension bike wal mart has. You need to get to work and look good doing it. Don't cheap out on this purchase, the more shocks, pivots and reflectors the bike has, the better your chances of bagging that third-tier waitress in the parking lot after getting her high on brown shwag. And remember that copious colorful logos will draw attention away from your teeth.

Next, start smoking cigs. For some reason, restaurant workers all smoke. And they buy premium brand cigarettes to ensure the habit eats at least a full 10% of their net pay.

Congratulations, you have started your new third-world America job!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Think warranty as a major buying point. While Kenmore might no be the *best* out there, they are backed by Sears' warranty. Also look into buying online and having it shipped to the store. They are easy to install, and if you have a buddy with a pickup truck you can save over a $100 on shipping.
Look at buying it through a website like fatwallet.com, so that you can get an additional % off, or find a good sale price. I do this regularly on items I don't need asap. In the last two years we have gotten back almost $300. It's not a lot, but it adds up.
Lastly, measure the dimensions of your current dishwasher space 10 times before you buy; dishwashers come in different sizes.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
aren't you married?
must spread...

We're in a rental apt, and the Bosch we had here was awesome. But it did eventually die and was recently replaced with a Maytag. The door feel like it's made out of Tupperware. Pretty junky. It's quiet though, and washes well.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks everyone.

so if you get this dishwasher....bj and steak day for you?
Yes.

I have not had a dishwasher basically my whole adult life, so this seems like it would be a great investment. I am looking into Kitchen Aid and Bosch because they seem to be getting the best reviews and are in our price range.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I agree washing dishes is easy. As are bowls, pots, etc. Its things like colanders, cheese graters, blender/processor bits that are best left to a mechanical dishwasher.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I have a Frigidaire Gallery fridge. (again came with the house.) Pretty happy.

However the word "Arrrrgh" comes to mind.

So Sears came to install the new pump/motor into the dishwasher yesterday. Repair guy couldn't get the machine out from under the counter. Turns out the previous owner installed the machine, THEN laid the ceramic tile on the floor. So it's stuck. But just barely. I'm missing like....1/8" to get it up and over the lip.

There's a 2" strip of tile that I will likely have to break to be able to angle it up enough to get it over the lip. I do have lots of left over tile in the basement that they left behind.

But goddammit why can't anything be straight forward??

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I have a Frigidaire Gallery fridge. (again came with the house.) Pretty happy.

However the word "Arrrrgh" comes to mind.

So Sears came to install the new pump/motor into the dishwasher yesterday. Repair guy couldn't get the machine out from under the counter. Turns out the previous owner installed the machine, THEN laid the ceramic tile on the floor. So it's stuck. But just barely. I'm missing like....1/8" to get it up and over the lip.

There's a 2" strip of tile that I will likely have to break to be able to angle it up enough to get it over the lip. I do have lots of left over tile in the basement that they left behind.

But goddammit why can't anything be straight forward??

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Additional fail. So it would seem that the reason the dishwasher is sitting in a pit, is because that particular counter was installed directly on the subfloor. So it's actually only 35" tall. The others are ok. ....it was my neighbour that noticed that our stove top sits 1" above the counter top. Not sure why I didn't notice that. Oh yeah. Cuz I'm dumb.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Additional fail. So it would seem that the reason the dishwasher is sitting in a pit, is because that particular counter was installed directly on the subfloor. So it's actually only 35" tall. The others are ok. ....it was my neighbour that noticed that our stove top sits 1" above the counter top. Not sure why I didn't notice that. Oh yeah. Cuz I'm dumb.
Something about buying a beater house and fixing it as you go...See BS for example.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Wow...this thread comes along right as I'm losing my mind.

Our dishwasher won't open b/c it's got a squeeze type latch/handle made of plastic. I don't know how to work on it and Sears wants a payment in blood to work on it. And I can't find a tech article on how to do it myself on the web.

Any suggestions (from everybody except MMike and eaterofdog)?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wow...this thread comes along right as I'm losing my mind.

Our dishwasher won't open b/c it's got a squeeze type latch/handle made of plastic. I don't know how to work on it and Sears wants a payment in blood to work on it. And I can't find a tech article on how to do it myself on the web.

Any suggestions (from everybody except MMike and eaterofdog)?
Contact the manufacturer directly for a schematic. What is the make/model? You might get some help from the monkeys.