Quantcast

Disk brakes and old bikes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So due to some cracks in the rims on my new homegrown, I may go disk sooner than later. It has a 22mm rear disk mount, and I found the adapter for it, but does anybody know what calipers will work and what disk size to expect to need? I have a spare set of DH04s from my dh bike that I'd like to use, and they have 7" rotors, so I'd like to use those, even though they're way overkill for such a bike. How about the fork- it has 74mm post mounts. What adapter do I need for that?

Also, how much total diameter does a 29inch rim/wheel setup add? I have a ton of clearance on this frame.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm sorry, I meant half diameter/radius...I know I can expect 1.5" in additional wheel radius, but are the tires lower profile or the same?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I'm not sure I'm following you, but the diameter of a 29er tire is 29" like a 26er is 26". 700c is the rim a 29er uses.

edit = 700c = 622 mm = 24.4"

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
you won't be able to fit a 29" into a Homegrown.
The old schwinn frames were designed to use a 6" hayes brake. Plan accordingly.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Good luck finding a 22mm disc mount.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Parallel-Mount-Adapter-AD-PMR_W0QQitemZ130115889390QQihZ003QQcategoryZ27949QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

There's a stock Hayes mag 22mm on ebay, but I'm not prepared to buy new brakes until I've exhausted the possibility of running the brakes I have. I know it's designed for classic hayes, but I'd like to run the brakes I have, I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with chainstay 22mm mounts and adapters.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I think that you will at least need to get new rotors and drop them to a 6 in system.

Therapy Components makes a system to add Disc mounts to a bike, I would say to get that, and use the new mounts which are a post mount. I will try to find a link

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah, if you want to snap that rear triangle off.

Homegrown tube walls are thinner than sh!t, an aftermarket adapter would probably doom the frame to an earlier fate.
We have had excellent outcomes with them. Its putting the force into the the braze ons for the rim brake mounts. Its been tested on Carbon frames, Ti frames ETC. Its a good system

Linky
http://www.therapycomponents.com/conversion.htm

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hope USED to make the adapter. Might be worth a call. Otherwise, you can pick up a n old set of hayes on the cheap. I've got them on fiance's bike. They work fine for an XC rig and they're cheap.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
We have had excellent outcomes with them. Its putting the force into the the braze ons for the rim brake mounts. Its been tested on Carbon frames, Ti frames ETC. Its a good system

Linky
http://www.therapycomponents.com/conversion.htm
It's only putting it through one of the bosses, not to mention the cost of a BT adapter is more than that frame is worth. Anything cheaper just clamps to the seatstay.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
"mullet"?

I'm just trying to find out if it can be done. Maybe I should delete this thread. I *know* it was meant for hayes, I was just wondering if anybody had any BTDT with an IS-22mm converter. I've seen somebody do it with a trek and avid mechs, but the hopes are obviously somewhat larger. I'll probably just stick with Vs, since this is more of a rec bike and the market seems to be devoid of decent xc-disk wheelsets.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
It's only putting it through one of the bosses, not to mention the cost of a BT adapter is more than that frame is worth. Anything cheaper just clamps to the seatstay.
Yeah, I wouldnt run anything that clamped to the seat stay. These particular tubes arent going to be that thin anyways, remember it already has a mount on it, its just the old 22mm setup.

To the OP, The adapter yo listed that is for sale on Ebay is what your looking for, It will give you IS standard mounts, then you should be able to bolt whatever brakes you want to the bike. I would check with your Local Bike shop before buying that on Ebay though, its probably about the same price if not lower. Not to mention if you go with the LBS you wont be paying shipping