Quantcast

Disk brakes squealing

R

RideMonkey

Someone told me to clean the rotors and pads with rubbing alcohol.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I got inventive on one of my sets....

First, I wrapped a ton of rubber bands around the rotor "spokes" to damp the vibration. That helped a lot. Since then, I've heard of minor variations of this trick, like using duct tape or some other sort of heavy, damping-oriented stuff (carpet tape, etc).

Second, I stuffed some thin styrofoam sheet material (it was some kind of packing/insulation stuff, kinda like soft cloth) into the bottom of my fork legs - most Marzocchi forks have at least an inch or two open at the bottom. I jammed it full of foam, and it really doesn't fall out or anything.

Between the two of those, there's so much vibration damping going on that it's silent.

But I definitely recommend the rubbing alcohol first. The rubber bands look kinda ghetto, IMHO.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
-Frank Sinatra

Big John saved my life!

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
if you drip some rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol, at least 70%) on to the brake pads while removed from the caliper, light the now-moist pads on fire, let them burn out, and wipe the pads off with an incredibly clean piece of cloth, it should go away. also clean the rotors with the alcohol.

i like the vibration damping idea, too. maybe we could design a rotor-damper that looks somewhat cool...

Mtn Pete

Chimp
Apr 19, 2002
Boston
Pull the pads if they look glazed lightly sand them. Also clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol. Avoid putting it on the pads. If that does not help replace the pads as they may have gotten some oil on them. Even the lightest oil from your hands on the rotor can be picked up by the pads and cause them to squeal.