Quantcast

Disk Brakes

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Im looking to get some new brakes soon and I just wanna make sure that I buy whats best out there for a good price.

So I ask you, which brakes would you say are the best?
meaning good price, performance, power and maintanence.

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
I vote for the 2009 Shimano Saint brakes, not sure when they're gonna be avaliable to buy though. That or Formala brakes, they are light and amazingly powerful

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
wow juicy 7's havent made the list. they are lighter than the codes, and by far cheaper than everything else on the list (yes the 08 model). they have plenty of power even with a 185 rotor in the back. that is my suggestion to save you money, give you a lighter brake setup, and to give you plenty of power for the stops.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Saints tend to be pretty cheap...check your local e-bike shop and see. Calipers can be had for nearly $30....then you need lines levers and rotors, but you may be able to get those used or for cheap as well.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
wow juicy 7's havent made the list. they are lighter than the codes, and by far cheaper than everything else on the list (yes the 08 model). they have plenty of power even with a 185 rotor in the back. that is my suggestion to save you money, give you a lighter brake setup, and to give you plenty of power for the stops.
Word. Codes are overkill in my opinion. Then again my really old Juicy 7's are getting pretty weak but I feel like a new '08 set would be plenty powerful.

Tweety

Chimp
May 30, 2007
Word. Codes are overkill in my opinion. Then again my really old Juicy 7's are getting pretty weak but I feel like a new '08 set would be plenty powerful.

What kind of logic is that? Are they leaking? If not, you should simply replace the fluid, bleed them, and replace pads / rotors. Should be like new....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm gonna throw another vote in for Saints. Great power, good modulation, fantastic price. I've been using a set for about a year and a half now and have had 0 problems. IMO, best bang for your buck.