Quantcast

dislocated & hyperextended my elbow today :(

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
went off a bigger jump that i thought i could do, and ended up landing ok but in a soft area of sand, which made my bike slide out to the left and me go to the right. my instinct was to put my hands out to break my fall but my right arm hit this small mound of dirt with a locked elbow. ..i heard it pop and i couldnt move it for 5 mins or so, so i coasted to my girlfriends who took me to the hospital. X-Rays later found it wasnt broken, but the doctor said the noise was the elbow comming out of the socket, and that all the muscle and ligaments in the area are stretched and some may have torn, so im in a sling for 10 days, an elbow brace for a month :(.........why me, my buddy went to get his new bike today so it will be a while til we can ride again :(

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I did that once skating on a halfpipe. Stuck my arm out to catch myself and heard the pop you describe. Had to drive myself home. The stick shift made it all a little more interesting.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Ouch for both stories.

I just dislocated and broke my humorous a month before I was supposed to race in nationals and also go to race in Crankworks at whistler. I am sad. But on the plus side I am going to be overhauling my DH bike and making it better than ever for when I can ride again.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Sorry to hear about your injury... I know the feeling. I busted a my collar bone two weeks before getting a new trailbike a couple years ago. The good thing was getting 6 weeks off of work... but it was two months before I could ride again. Meanwhile my new bike was just a piece of livingroom furniture.

Enjoy the pain killers while the prescription lasts and remember not to push the recovery.

Domin8stang

Monkey
Apr 30, 2006
San Diego
yeah i noticed that either the pedal or the actual arm to the pedal is slightly bent now...havent even had this one a week...im hoping its just the pedal so it will be an easy fix...i'll find out when i can put pressure on my arm and ride it

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
de javu.

It's day 27 now for my hubby and he is definitely not going to be racing until winter or so. Atleast he continued his streak of 1) not breaking a single bone yet and 2) not needing any surgery. Whew!

You should see your Ortho asap to determine how long you really need to be on your sling/splint. Orven had his on longer than the Doctor wanted bec he couldn't get an appointment sooner. He was told that it should have been removed several days after being reset to get the elbow used to moving again. Nevertheless, he healed a bit faster and thus more scar tissues to rip during therapy. Joy.

On the plus side, atleast his DH bike will remain very clean for a long long time. :thumb:

Heal up.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Shyrmp said:
On the plus side, atleast his DH bike will remain very clean for a long long time. :thumb:

Shyrmp... That's terrible news!! :(
A bike like that can't be left unridden for so long!
I insist you take it for a blat around a few tracks. :D
:rofl:

Hope you both get better soon guys! :)