Quantcast

Display shopping

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'm once again looking for new displays. 24" or preferably 27" widescreen LCD. I'm out of touch. Seems like the new 09 dell displays are pretty crummy for any sort of professional color or photo work due to uneven backlighting.

It will be used for professional photo work. Wide gamut is preferable, but I am hoping to not spend $3000 on an Eizo when the old Dell and Gateway displays were fantastic.

Any suggestions? I'd like to stay around $1000USD, max. 30" is great if there any any good deals floating around.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i read recently (probably cnet or similar journal) that prices will plummet late 08/early 09 due to decreased demand. i bet you get what you need for well under $1k

this wasn't it, but close:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10061140-1.html

and don't forget the mandatory decommissioning of analog signals will most likely give consumers an excuse to make a major, yet unrelated, purchase (when $30 is all you need for a converter - pfft!), or at least that was part of the reasoning for increased supply this year.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ya I have heard the same thing and am gearing up for exactly that plunge. 27" displays are really just getting a firm footing between the 24 and 30 inchers. 30" is more than I need, and is monstrous on my desk.

My current display was fantastic at first, but is now become hard to keep calibrated, and seeing as i spend long hours on it creating deliverables for print, I need something accurate.

Hopefully 27", LED backlit, widescreen displays start to drop in price but not quality. Dell's 09 stuff seem to have dropped $200+, but no longer list their display technology, making it quite probable that they now use crap Tn panels.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hoping to hold out for a 27". Lightroom is a tiny bit too cramped on a 24".

Edit: Toshi, how much did you get that for BTW? Just curious to see how competitive my CDW rep is.

Last edited:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
As you may know Apple is doing a Black Friday thing. I know their Macbooks are going down a couple hundie, and not sure what they're doing with displays... Their 30 inchers are still pricey, but dammit they are awesome. Coming home to my 22" after working on my 30" at work is kinda depressing....

Edit: And waiting until after the MacWorld Expo might save ya some dough too.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I wanted the new 24" LED with mag power etc, but they only work with 3 models in the entire lineup (those with display port). Great move apple!

The 30" is disgustingly overpriced.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ya i saw $573 several places on google shopping. My CDW rep will do it for about the same amount + free 10am delivery, so he is right on track.

Now to see if i can find a similiar type of display in 27" that will not cost a mint.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hoping to hold out for a 27". Lightroom is a tiny bit too cramped on a 24".

Edit: Toshi, how much did you get that for BTW? Just curious to see how competitive my CDW rep is.
Same amount of pixels, no?

You're getting old, grandpa.

That new Apple screen is glossy only, too, which sucks hard unless you're working exclusively on high key stuff...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Same amount of pixels, no?

You're getting old, grandpa.

That new Apple screen is glossy only, too, which sucks hard unless you're working exclusively on high key stuff...
Just depends on the screen (for pixels). Some are higher than others, most are 1920x1200, ya. Bigger pixel pitch are easier on my eyes though after 8 hours of editing or writing/reading code. :)

Glossy doesn't bother me in the office where lighting conditions are controlled and stabled. It would be annoying as hell on a laptop though.

Last edited: