Quantcast

Displaying on my TV

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hey,

I've just gone out and bought myself an S-Video cable to display the image from my laptop on my LCD TV.

I have the computer connected to my TV through the S-Video cable, and have changed the input on the TV to the appropriate setting.

I have also gone to Control Panel in Windows and tried to select the display, but I don't see my TV as on option.

Anyone have an words of wisdom for me? I thought this was going to be easy....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Well, I got the display to work now, but the screen size is off so I have to scroll around to see all 4 corners of the image. I can't seem to alter it.... That's way annoying.

As for my video card, I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP

And yes, the S-Video seems to suck pretty bad. I have a 37" LCD TV and the image is really blurry, plus the wrong size...

What next?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Well, I got the display to work now, but the screen size is off so I have to scroll around to see all 4 corners of the image. I can't seem to alter it.... That's way annoying.

As for my video card, I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP

And yes, the S-Video seems to suck pretty bad. I have a 37" LCD TV and the image is really blurry, plus the wrong size...

What next?
dvi/hdmi/vga.
depends on what inputs your tv has. it should have at least one those those, its a 37" lcd.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
does the LCD have a typical RGB input? Does your laptop have RGB out? If so, get an RGB/VGA cable and go that route.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Alright, fixed my image size...

I thought the TV was "monitor 2"... it is not...

But the image is still wayyyyy blurry.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
does the LCD have a typical RGB input? Does your laptop have RGB out? If so, get an RGB/VGA cable and go that route.
ati 9000 dont have rgb outs.

only 9500 and higher do. with some $30 ati adaptor anyways.
rgb/vga cables dont work, unless the vga output specifically puts out analog rgb signals.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Well, I seem to have a VGA out on the laptop and the VGA input on the TV (not sure of the names there...but monitor style plugs..) . The name of the input on the TV is "PC".

If I get one of those cables, will it replicate the image I get on my monitor?

I have a 15.4" widecreen monitor laptop, but the display on my widescreen TV is mash into the middle with Standard TV proportions. Sorta defeats the purpose...

Getting an image like I get on my laptop would be hella cool. Am I dreaming here? Am I wasting my time? I just want to buy cables at this stage...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Well, I seem to have a VGA out on the laptop and the VGA input on the TV (not sure of the names there...but monitor style plugs..) . The name of the input on the TV is "PC".

If I get one of those cables, will it replicate the image I get on my monitor?

I have a 15.4" widecreen monitor laptop, but the display on my widescreen TV is mash into the middle with Standard TV proportions. Sorta defeats the purpose...

Getting an image like I get on my laptop would be hella cool. Am I dreaming here? Am I wasting my time? I just want to buy cables at this stage...
vga is the way to go then.
it will look pretty good. as good as any monitor, as long as you use the optimal resolution of your lcd. it should be on manual, or you can look it up on the net.

svideo is analog, its crappy and depends on the aspect ratio your video card puts out.
if you use vga, you can use a widescreen resolution and it will look good. regular monitor-good.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Too late! Went to the store and picked up the VGA cable... Returned that crappy S-Video cable. Gonna eat and see if this works...

Don't know how to check my LCD definition...the TV you mean?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Wow, this is way better...the cable's great!

Now, how to get the widescreen to work?
whats the make an model of your tv?
i can check out whats its optimal resolution.

to get the widescreen to work, you have to fiddle with the resolution on the computer.

right click on the desktop, properties, settings.... and set it at a 16:9 resolution. but first it will be good to know whats the native resolution of the lcd.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've got Toshiba 37HL95 37 in. HDTV LCD Television.

I've found that it has a resolution of 1280 x 720.

So, I should match my laptop screen resolution to this setting? I'll also have to find where I can set the 16:9 resolution on my computer...

I'll fiddle again when I get home...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
weird, my email notification says that BV has replied to this, but I don't see it on RM....

Why wouldn't I be able to have widescreen if my laptop is a widescreen? It's a 15.4" screen, not sure if its exactly 16:9 though...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I deleted my response because I did a search on Google and found the Radon is coming in widescreen laptops, so it must support widescreen resolutions :p

Ideally, you want to output at the native resolution of your LCD. Your monitor may or may not support that particular resolution but it sounds like it should.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Ah I see. I think I'll be stuck with the two bars on each side of my TV... Looks good with the VGA cable though... Way better than my laptop screen.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
1280:720.
set that resolution on your video card. ideally you should be able.

if not, you might need to download a newer catalyst. (ati driver).
since ati drivers vary wildly in each version (they suck imo).. be sure you want to replace your current stable driver for a possibly unstable newer one. granted, it isnt like its an ultra high, like 50% chance of success.. but their drivers suck at an unusual rate.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Oh no no no.... not getting into anything like that...

I'll just fiddle with the resolution and see if it works. The image is great. Just not 16:9, which isn't the end of the world...

I ashamed to say that what sparked all of this was watching the old Transformers movie...

I'll have lots more Youtubing to do now that it's blocked at work.

Thanks for all the replies. Will report on successes...