Quantcast

ditch the Sram X9 shifter, or fix it!

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
yo

the smallest little tooth broke in my shifter last weekend, i had to ride platty with one fixed gear, which wasnt so bad cause its all downhill, but it sucks major riding around campus and stuff.
i took the shifter apart, and wala(sp?). i found the busted part.

now, my major is welding technology. im not totally sure what this metal part is made out of, what do you think. is it casted? i was thinking GTAW(T.I.G'ing) a super hot, super small tack where it snapped.

or should i just pay 60 bucks for a new one( which i really dont want to:disgust: )

p.s- the topic is KINDA downhill oriented, the downhill forum is the most populated ;)

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
There once was a thread about this exact repair. The guy did successfully fix it with a weld. BTW, the part looks like it was cast, not casted. Looks like a brittle failure. Forging or machining would be stronger, but more expensive.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
That part looks like it might be symmetrical from the left to the right shifter. If that's the case, this is a DH forum, somebody is bound to have a spare front shifter hanging around.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
There once was a thread about this exact repair. The guy did successfully fix it with a weld. BTW, the part looks like it was cast, not casted. Looks like a brittle failure. Forging or machining would be stronger, but more expensive.

WTF is 'casted'? Is that something Canadian?

BTW, Pedals, Damn it!!!!