Quantcast

DIY bike rack for a truck bed? Who has tried what with and with what success?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So I had this http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm and it worked mediocre. It eventually ended up cracking at one of the joints from a particularly horrible shuttle route that is more pothole that road. I could replace the parts of it, but I'm looking for something else that maybe latches onto the hooks at the front of the bed.

Has anyone come up with anything clever? I'd like it to hold four bikes, possibly be made of metal and fasteners rather than clue, and have some way to attach to the bed securely. Also all the bikes we're using are 20mm thru axles, so no QR axle mounts.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Search function... been discussed and designs presented many times before.

Jebfour posted a cool homemade system.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Using tie downs all moto-style with modern air forks is a no-no.

Tried searching but didn't find anything, at least not for anything home-made. I think I tried "truck bed rack" and found more things about racks that have nothing to do with bikes.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
After trying a variety of in-bed racks I've determined that the 'over the (padded) tailgate' method is the best option for carrying multiple bikes. one to two bikes can easily fit in the bed of my truck without any type of rack/strap needed.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
After trying a variety of in-bed racks I've determined that the 'over the (padded) tailgate' method is the best option for carrying multiple bikes. one to two bikes can easily fit in the bed of my truck without any type of rack/strap needed.
I've tried that and it's difficult to keep the bikes from sliding around. Also it can do some pretty nasty stuff to the downtubes on really rough roads since it doesn't really fit right up under the headtube.

I like that idea in the pics. It looks like it's permanently attached to the bed right?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
:stupid:

Load them over the tailgate and throw a ratchet strap across the top tubes using the stake pockets as your hook points then thread the loose end back through the front wheels and tie it off.