Quantcast

DIY Metric?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So whose doing this or attempted to with their non metric shock? It seems that this should be a doable thing via some spacers. I suppose if there is a pressurized IFP the depth with need to be adjusted to compensate for the shorten stroke.

Anyone do this and have tips/tricks?

The new pricing tier for metric shocks is getting pretty unreasonable in my mind and there's plenty of good shocks in the secondary market that can be great with some custom tuning.

Did the Lizards overlook that there may be forward compatibility with non metric shocks, or am I off base on this whole conversion thing?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
wasn't the whole point of metric shock to achieve a shorter i2i with the same stroke length?
'Ish.... In that they were looking to increase bushing overlap.

There are several non metric shocks where it seems one could essentially start with a longer length shock, space it internally to reduce stroke, and then you'll en up with essentially a final eye to eye and stroke as a metric sized shock.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Metric gets you longer shocks with less stroke. More bushing overlap and more space for pistons and stuff inside. If you were crafty you could probably make something work using an old shock and some spacers. 8.75x2.75 might work to spacer down to get into the 210's

If you spacer internally the hydraulic top out might not work properly FYI. And if you do an airspring you'll need to make sure the dimple/neg spring are still functional.

eye to eye & stroke:
230 strokes 65-57.5
210 strokes 55-47.5
190 strokes 45-37.5

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So whose doing this or attempted to with their non metric shock? It seems that this should be a doable thing via some spacers. I suppose if there is a pressurized IFP the depth with need to be adjusted to compensate for the shorten stroke.

Anyone do this and have tips/tricks?

The new pricing tier for metric shocks is getting pretty unreasonable in my mind and there's plenty of good shocks in the secondary market that can be great with some custom tuning.

Did the Lizards overlook that there may be forward compatibility with non metric shocks, or am I off base on this whole conversion thing?
I've got a 9.5x3 dhx2 I shortened to 230x65 for my patrol. Just because it worked out with 11mm taken off. I don't think there are any other options that work out that well. I just used a shaft collar with a set screw and some delrin washers from the hardware store. It's also worth noting, with Dave's point above, not all shocks are good candidates for this anyway.

Last edited:

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
You mean 230x65 for your patrol.

X2 is a good candidate- coil, recirculating damper (no hydro topout)

Vivid coil should also work.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I've got a 9.5x3 dhx2 I shortened to 260x65 for my patrol. Just because it worked out with 11mm taken off. I don't think there are any other options that work out that well. I just used a shaft collar with a set screw and some delrin washers from the hardware store. It's also worth noting, with Dave's point above, not all shocks are good candidates for this anyway.
I know another customer that did that with a DB coil to change it from 9.5x3 into 230x65

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
So the 205mm metric trunnion comes in 60, 62.5 and 65mm stroke lengths for the same eye-to-eye. On one hand, way to complicate things guys. On the other - woohoo easy travel increases/decreases! (clearance allowing).

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
You mean 230x65 for your patrol.

X2 is a good candidate- coil, recirculating damper (no hydro topout)

Vivid coil should also work.
For the Vivid coil I'd assume the MY2014 onward with the counter measure would be the most straightforward since there is the LSR port to deal with on the older models.

FYI any 8.5 X 2.5 or 8.75 X 2.75 ought to be convertible to a near metric equivalent of 210 X 57.6 or one could add additional spacing to get correct stroke with a marginally shorter eye to eye....or use a small outer shaft shim to limit stroke to get dead on 210 X 55 if they wanted.

I agree that for air shocks and those with hydro top out things get a little more complicated, but it seems that for the recirculating damper type shocks you can pretty much convert to any metric size if you start with something a little longer...

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
If going the DIY way is not enough, any good suspension tuner with a lathe should be able shorten most coil shock to whatever dimension fits your bike. I had a DHX shortened and serviced for 185£ and got a quote for the same job at 200€. Adding to that the price for a second hand shock is still lower than many of the metric shocks available now without taking a chance on reliability and performance.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
So the 205mm metric trunnion comes in 60, 62.5 and 65mm stroke lengths for the same eye-to-eye. On one hand, way to complicate things guys. On the other - woohoo easy travel increases/decreases! (clearance allowing).
and 57.5... but yeah- you can easily change the travel of your metric shock.