Quantcast

DIY rack fairing.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I know you monkeys dig home made stuff so I thought I'd toss up a pic of the fairing I just finished for my Jetta. Made from lexan, painted semi gloss black with silver annapolis valley mountain bike association decals.

not as cool as making my own frames but it's as good as I get for now!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If its touching the roof you might get some paint wear/rust if you don't put some padding at the contact points.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
If its touching the roof you might get some paint wear/rust if you don't put some padding at the contact points.
My Fairing resonates a bit on the highway. If it wasn't for the protective vinyl patches on the roof and foam bumpers on the fairing my paint would be gone. I suggest you rig something up Ryan.

Looks nice. Did you print me off some stickers yet............?????

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
syadasti said:
pads are now on. pics were taken when testing the fit.

ATOMICFIREBALL said:
Did it really help cut down the massive howling noise,or not ?
It sure did! wow it's like the racks not even there. I was pretty amazed.

BadDNA said:
Looks good, how are you keeping it from rotating down toward the roof of your car? Got any pictures of the mounting tabs?
tabs are pretty simple. bacically a flat sheet of leaxan with a bend at top and a few holes drilled where needed. Looks a bit like a hockey stick. one end goes under the wheel tray and then the wheel tray bolt goes though it into the rail mount as per normal. once bolted down it's VERY firm. no way it will rotate.

ridiculous said:
notice any effect on your gas mileage?
I just finished it last night, I should know in week or soo if it's helping out on the gas.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have a sqaure canopy on my truck that sits 9" higher than the cab.
I made a similar fairing, though not as nice since it is a truck. I noticed drastically reduced wind noise and a no sh!t 2mpg better mileage.
Nice work