Quantcast

DIY susspension telemetry

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
I would like to tune my susspension better. Therefore i would like to build a data loger. The biggest problem i have found so far is where to find a good enough linear encoder to measure the travel. Does anyone have any experiences with a similar project?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
IIRC back in the day when I worked on the FSAE car the hot ticket for budget linear encoders were some RV suspension ride height sensors, forget which ones but they were only like $100 each instead of $400 each like the legit ones.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
is there a specific metric that you're after that current data logger systems don't? or just something to DIY? i know most proper data acquisition systems for suspension are prohibitively expensive to most riders, but there is shockwiz that is much less expensive (although not cheap), but only works with air shocks & forks.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I have strong doubt about that. As someone who tried using their phone as a car data logger before buying a real one. Phone accelerometer polling rates are too low and mounting them rigidly enough to give meaningful data is basically impossible. In my experience you can't even have a stiff rubber case on the phone between an all metal clamp on mount that's bolted down.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
If youre not developping actual suspension hardware how much is there really to gain in mtb telemetry?

I also understand from a hobby/project standpoint but it isnt THAT hard to set up your mtb suspension.
Ofcourse good working suspension is important to a point, but even on a DH bike I think most people can set up their suspension (maybe with a little help) without telemetry up to a point where it isnt gonna make much of a difference?

Not judging, just curious.