Quantcast

DJ Etiquette question?

dowend

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Boulder, Colorado
Just a heads up that there is some digging going on out at the Gunbarrel DJs. So far the guys digging have taken out the table top next to the sixpack and the entrance to the small line coming off of the berm. Anybody think this is ok to do? :nope:

I was going to say something, but there was three of them and they weren't being to social. (Didn't feel like getting my a$$ kicked today)

dream4est

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
at least find out who they are and what plans they have out there. all that really needs to be done out there is sweeping and rebuilding lips, not wholesale destruction. dave call me i am digging on the property and could use your help. im down to ride as well.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
I would say that if no one else is digging, then the people that step up to do so can do whatever they want. If you don't want your trails dug on, then take care of them yourself.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
DHblur said:
If you don't want your trails dug on, then take care of them yourself.
How bout' if they aren't your trails then don't dig on them??? If you have permission to ride, then ride on, but don't dig unless you are asked to help. I had some trails across the street from my house that I built alone. They were faily visible trails, so the local kids would ride by to see what I was up to. Sometimes they would even come into the woods if they knew I was there just to talk. Nobody offered to help. I built the stunts and gaps big enough so that I knew they wouldn't ride them. I work during the day and was out of town for a few days, so those trails sat alone for about 10 days. Well when I got a chance to get over there to work and ride, the local kids had changed everything so that they were capable of riding the trails. They filled the gaps and stuff in so they wouldn't have to clear anything. I eventually tore everything down and messed up the stuff I had cleared out so that those trails would die. I hated to do that but I wasn't going to fight the local kids. They didn't want to help and I really didn't care if they rode those trails aslong as they could ride what was there and not going changing stuff.

Basically if you want to dig on someone else's trails then get permission. Nuff' said..

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
I would advise against coming down to Lake Arbor and "changing stuff around." The "self-appointed trail Nazi" might freak out and hit you in the head with a shovel. Staying in Boulder would be your best bet!

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
So that means I can go down to Lake Arbor and start changing stuff around however I want to as long as no one else is there
Hey retard, I didn't say just because no one else is around you can go out there and start changing things around. If it is definitely evident that no one has been riding much and definitely not digging(as it is with Gunbarrel) and after numerous times of riding there, this is still the case, you may consider starting to work on some things. Seeing as how this is not the case at Arbor, I would strongly refer you to Ballr's post above.

And as for Chop's comments. Remember, in the original post, the guy is not just kid that wants to make the jumps table tops. He is someone who is willing to throw a shovel down to clean a dirt jump spot up after much neglect. Your story isn't even relevant to this situation.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Seriously, anybody with a nosering is scary in my book...

He'll take you to the gun show and.....yeah I don't know where I was going with that.

SHUTUP, my competency is a little off, i just broke up with "high school" but on the plus side I'm walking.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
My story is relevant because you gave ownership to the jumps. I wasn't trying to be a dick, just saying that if they aren't your jumps and you don't have permission then don't dig. And by reading the original post they weren't just cleaning up, they were tearing down. So yeah , my story is relevant.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Yep, in the case of Gunbarrel, there is going to need to be some tearing down in order to get stuff built right there. The layout of that place has been bad for some time now and in order to change that, old stuff is going to have to be taken out.

And the thing about gunbarrel is that no one really takes care of them right now so no one really has ownership to them. Therefore, open digging.

fondigley

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Boulder, CO
I don't mind so much the digging going on at Gunbarrel jumps. Cause we do need some new, bigger jumps and there is always work to be done over there. I just went over there to see what has been going on. I have been watching a lot of digging from my apartment today (sometimes I consider those jumps mine, cause they are in my backyard, but we have to remember they are public) and dreamforest told me on Wednesday that the guys digging at the jumps where trashing the sick pack. I thought he was talking about Spommers line. I wish they wouldn't have trashed the entrance to main, racer and outside though. I don't even know if you can even jump those. I hope so, since they built a new gap jump that looks techy, but will it work is the question. I plan on going over there tomorrow for a good while. Hopefully those guys who have been doing all the digging are there. They don't bother me with there cigarette smoking and bmx style(earings, jeans, no helmet). I talked to a couple of them last week and they said they were going to make a new entrance for the inside line, I just didn't know they were going to screw with the others like they did. Hopefully I will post some pics of the new construction tomorrow.

dowend

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Boulder, Colorado
What's with the personal attacks?
Quote: from DHblur
Hey retard
Quote: from ballr
hit you in the head with a shovel
No wonder our sport is having so much trouble. I was being sarcastic about Arbor if you couldn't tell. I have too much respect for those that have put the effort into building Arbor into what it is to do something like that.

I guess I will just post some pics of the changes and not comment (since I'm retarded).

#1: The new entrance to all the bigger stuff.
#2: What used to be the only decent sized table top.
#3: Build up of the new inside line.

Attachments

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Apologies fella, nothing personal. I was being sarcastic as well and you didn't get it. Actually, I was making a kind of private joke that many won't understand. Again, nothing personal, I don't even know ya!

rhythmcycles

Chimp
Apr 20, 2004
Everybody has some pretty valid points here. The Gunbarrel jumps have needed some work for quite some time and from what I hear, there has been very little digging there over the winter. But, the issue here is that the new stuff has ruined the entrance into existing lines that have been running for years. I agree that if people aren't maintaining jumps then whoever gets motiviated to pick up a shovel has some say in what gets built, but it shouldn't be at the expense of established lines that many other people have put hard work into in the past.

The Eaton (Gunbarrel) park jumps are on city park land and are open to everyone to ride... and dig, they are nobody's property. With that in mind, the lines (including the entances to the lines) should remain open to riders at a variety off skill levels, and there should be a progression of jumps from the smallest tables to the biggest doubles.

Back to the origonal point of the Dj Etiquette question... I would consider the new digging at Eaton to fall in the VERY bad etiquette category. The berm that was put in cut off the entrance to lines that have been running for 3 or 4 years, and someone else had to come along and build a lip over the berm so that the other lines where rideable. The inside line has always been big, and if people want to make it bigger, so be it... but it should not be at the expense of other lines. In my humble opinion, whoever put that berm in and cut off the entrances to the other lines should have IMMEDIATELY made an alternate entrace to main, racer, and outside lines... and should not have put the shovels down until it was done. To walk away and leave long established lines like that is completely inexcusable.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
ballr said:
Apologies fella, nothing personal. I was being sarcastic as well and you didn't get it. Actually, I was making a kind of private joke that many won't understand. Again, nothing personal, I don't even know ya!
I got that joke, Scooter. And I laughed. Heartily.

fondigley

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Boulder, CO
Thanks for posting the pics Dowend. I took about 10 shots myself on Sunday and was going to post them, but saw yours, so figured no need. Well at least some people can see what has been goin on there.

As some have said it is poor etiquette to screw with those lines, but if it all works out it will be fun to run em. Since it is public we can't complain too much, but what was done I believe was wrong. Now is the time to get out there and let people know what should be done and what shouldn't be touched.

I talked with the guy who trashed the main line and built the enormous berm and built up the inside jumps. He said he hadn't seen anyone hitting those lines, so he figured to do some resculpting. Says he talked to the city, went to meetings, and brought a front end loader in and built the jumps there years ago. The main lines were in bad shape, but what do you expect coming out of winter. Since this guy said he was between jobs, he has been putting in 9 hour days over there to make it more fun for his style.

I hit the new entrance on the come back line and it flows a little better, but for beginners the table was nice and help built up confidence. What really needs to happen is to build a bunch of more intermediate lines to help new people learn.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
(this is all going from the pictures as i don't even live there anymore)

what's wrong with the berm? if you can't double over the berm, you can't shouldn't hit the rest of the set anyways, right? the little guys on the far right are still open if you go around the big pile of stuff, right? so learners are still open too.

dowend

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Boulder, Colorado
Hey Spooms! Well the picture is a little deceiving. The landing on top of the berm is pretty short. The right side or "Outside line" has a about a bike length to land on before the transition for the next jump. The two lines inside of that "Racer Main" and "Main Street" have even less with the landing for Main Street only being about 1/2 a bike length. So the two main lines are essentially shut down.

Yes, the small jumps on the outside are still accessible and "Spomers" or the "Six Pack" is the next size up. There is no progression from there though. If you want to hit something bigger then your name sake, then the only thing is the inside line. That's a big step up!

The big stuff should really have been built on the outside IMHO.

oneesyrider

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
I am someone who also feels pretty bumbed about what has been going on out at Gunbarrel. I am extreamly glad to see people comming out and digging new stuff, but when what is being built does not have the mountain biker in mind, it kinda pisses me off. A quote from one of the new diggers "This place used to be cool unitl all you mountain bikers started comming out." Unfortuantly this person doesnt own the land and neither do the MTBers, so it is hard to say who is right in this situation. BUT! All of this building is worth nothing if the builders cannot do a simple task leanred in kindergarten to pick up after themselves. I know it's them because there is a trail of coke cans, fast food bags, and cigarett budds/cartons around the new dirt. Oppoesed to the post on Lee's sight, I think a little spray paint telling these guys to keep the place open by keeping it clean was a smart move because with a little brushing, spraypaint on dirt rubs off where as the trash will stay and get the park closed. I just ask anyone that goes out to Gunbarrel to dig, think of EVERYONE and not just yourself. This is just one of few places people come to get away from the problems that are now arising at the jumps. Keep Gunbarrel fun!

fondigley

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Boulder, CO
It seems a lot of people care about the jumps at Eaton Park. So instead of taking our time bitching and complaining let's join up to build it up and keep it clean. Once or twice a month would be all it would take to build more intermediate jumps and do some cleaning. Like I said before I stare at the jumps when I wake up everyday and my reason for living where I do is to improve my skills on those jumps, a bike skill I didn't have previously to moving to Colorado. I have talked with Matt and he seems to be a cool bmxer, and he wants to make that park, better and more adapt to advanced riders. But not everyone cares as much about it as some of us. It sucks that some don't know where trash belongs and that some don't think about the beginner/intermediate crowd, but it turns out that a lot of people do ride out there and Matt now understands that maybe they shouldn't have done such a major reconstruction. But the entrance to those lines did need some work and there were some rocks that stuck out on the entrance and it now looks really smooth and 5 times as wide, which may help some.

There is plenty of room out there for all of us. I am more of an intermediate advanced rider, but I do enjoy hitting the easier lines out there too. I was disapointed the lines I enjoyed were touched, but at the same time, I want to advance my skills and you need to try new things to do that.

I think we need to make a plan, so we all can be happy out there. Maybe setup digging sessions every other saturday morning. But if you ride out there please help anyway possible. Like Lee says if you can't dig or don't want to dig, bring out some drinks for those who are working hard to make it a better more fun experience for all of us.

I began just going over to ride the little jumps, and did that for months before I started to chip in. But I became addicted, then I started digging, watering, sweeping, doing whatever I could to make the jumps run smoother and suprisingly my skills increased very fast, once I started putting in time out there and helping to keep that place going.

So let's do it and make them the best jumps around, big, small, tables, berms, whatever we can to say our spot is the best in town.

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
The best in town he says....you all just wait till I get that bobcat back and the lady across the street sticks her thumbs in her ass and learns to walk on her elbows. THEN we'll see about the best in town!

fondigley

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Boulder, CO
Alright Evil. If you got the best in town, well hell I'll be over there with ya.

Well I hit the park after work and put in a good hour of ripping spommers and the new comback line and of course the little line. Just a blast to hit. Although I am disappointed I am not tearing down racer or main like I used to. I have begun to work the newly constructed line. It doesn't feel so bad, I just haven't figured out that new gapper. I think I am pulling up too hard and should just coast through fast. Don't really know but plan on mastering it tomorrow. I want to get there relatviely early to put in some work. But I am sure by noon that place will be goin off.