Quantcast

DJ Fork | Repair or Replace?

raygun

Chimp
Oct 22, 2008
I have a 2004 mostly stock Specialized P2 for 'playtime in the park' when I'm not on my XC rig. I recently blew a leak in my Marzocchi EXR Comp fork. I know right there you're saying "replace! replace!". But I was pleasantly suprised with the stiffness of it and if you kept the pressure up, it never bottomed out.

I haven't done a repair before, but I'm guessing it needs new seals, o-ring, and oil...say $50 if i do it myself. on the otherhand, i could upgrade to a dj1, manitou gold label ($250 at jenson usa right now), or argyle.

So in these economic times do I save some dough and do the repair, or am I asking for trouble trying to repair a fork and should just go with the upgrade?

Sound advice appreciated.

4 years is a VERY long time to be trusting such a piece of junk, i'd replace it. hell, i replace all of my abuse oriented forks in no more than 2 years max. in the end it's up to you (it's your dental work on the line), but i'd ditch it if it were my call. that fork may resemble a marzocchi, but was made by rst in an effort to keep costs down and it's pretty well documented how crappy their products are... just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

raygun

Chimp
Oct 22, 2008
i should probably add that the fork has about 150 hours of dj-ing on it, since it has been my second bike, but it's not the greatest performer and it completely leaked out all over the floor, so there's no telling what i'll come across when i open the thing up. i just hate being so wasteful, but i bet i couldn't pay someone to take a busted exr comp!

anyone have any rants/raves with the 2008 manitou gold label? i'm hearing good things...

bikeit13

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
I would replace like said above. Rigid (like Cru said) or something like the base model rockshox argyle. Fairly inexpensive, RS has great warrantee and its just a solid DJ fork. There has been many problems w/ the gold labels (cracking, leaking, ect...). Another thing is, are you looking for a 20mm thru axle fork or a standard 10mm QR fork? This can be a determining factor too since you would have to get a new wheel, or if your hub is convertible... For rigid stuff the new blk mrkt fork is like 130 bucks or the identity rebate maybe? I don't know too much about rigid stuff.

Hope that helped

Andrew-