Quantcast

DJ III thoughts....

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Anyone running a '04 DJ III? How do you have it set up? Seems like a great fork for the price! Any info. would be appreciated!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
wow...a lot of DJ III owners out there. I would have thought for the price (if nothing else) at least one person would be running one. :confused:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Dirtjumper3 :nope: it is the worst fork in its class, I had one for a bit and thought it was terrible, no adjustment just feels crappy, I ended up going with a sherman, i would look to fox,manitou or marzochis higher offerings, the quaility just isnt there...

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Dirtjumper3 :nope: it is the worst fork in its class, I had one for a bit and thought it was terrible, no adjustment just feels crappy, I ended up going with a sherman, i would look to fox,manitou or marzochis higher offerings, the quaility just isnt there...

i don't quite agree with that. the DJ 3 is a good fork for it's price. what type of riding will you be doing? The DJ 3 is pretty much dirt jump/urban specific

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
InsaneP2Rider said:
i don't quite agree with that. the DJ 3 is a good fork for it's price. what type of riding will you be doing? The DJ 3 is pretty much dirt jump/urban specific
It will mainly be an all-mountian/light FR fork, with some urban thrown in. My biggest concern is the rebound dampening (or lack thereof), but I think from what I've read, that it can be helped by changing the oil weight and running 0 air pressure. They fork weight itself doesn't really concern me. I trashed the stock 'zocchi EXR Comp that came on my Kona and 'Zocchi is replacing/"upgrading" it with a DJ III at a pretty low price. I know it'll be burly enough, just wondering if anyone else had any expierence using it as a trail bike fork. Thanks.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
McGRP01 said:
It will mainly be an all-mountian/light FR fork, with some urban thrown in. My biggest concern is the rebound dampening (or lack thereof), but I think from what I've read, that it can be helped by changing the oil weight and running 0 air pressure. They fork weight itself doesn't really concern me. I trashed the stock 'zocchi EXR Comp that came on my Kona and 'Zocchi is replacing/"upgrading" it with a DJ III at a pretty low price. I know it'll be burly enough, just wondering if anyone else had any expierence using it as a trail bike fork. Thanks.
The DJII is not that much of an upgrade, I am telling the the dampening is garbage, i rode with the kid i sold mine too yesterday and he had the same complaints. If all you are gonna do is hit urban and DJ it will work out allright i guess, put heavy oil in it. But it just has next to no small bump sensitivity. I should have listened to Dump when he told me not to get it last year...owell its gone :nopity: Rock on sherman

stanky_dlx

Chimp
Dec 16, 2003
Hotlanta
I'd look for something else for a all-mountian/light FR fork.

1) It's a heavy...almost 7lbs. That's nipping at the heels of a dual crown.

2) It's 110mm, yeah I know you can jack it up to 130mm but where do you purchase the kit? Send the fork in maybe? At the 110mm setting it may not have enough travel for light FR stuff.

3) Compression and damping is a joke out of the box. I'm 170lbs and with zero air I can only use up the travel on drops larger than 4 feet. On the trail it's like ridding a rigid. Doesn't compress on any small stuff (roots, rocks) and if you hit a long patch of rocks/roots or even a rough downhill it hydro locks.

4) Quick release drop outs. I've bent a skewer already. I really wish it had 20mm.

Now if all you are going to do is DJ'ing and you have an ubber smooth style then it's the hot ticket. It's super strong and doesn't compress when you launch from the lip so you keep your speed up.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Thanks for the comments guys...I appreciate it. I guess since my EXR is trashed and I have NO fork right now, coupled with the fact that the DJIII will only be $100, it'll work until I can afford a Sherman or a Z1.

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
manhattanprjkt83 said:
You make me sick :blah: :angry:

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
Im going to buy dj3 and with the reseach i found your off by a long shot. you can change your perload and marzhocci made it so the rebound rate is all rite. if you dont like it it means your not smooth.

primo1289

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
Pullman, Wa
Dude I don't know why everyone is hating on the DJ III, the fork treated me well. I picked up the 130mm conversion kit for five bucks from marzocchi and had my mechanic put it in for me. As for all the people who complain about the weight, they just need to get some nuts and start working out, I could eaisly bunnyhop my bike onto the top of a picnic table while I was rolling the DJ III. You can't beat the price and the fact that they are burly makes them perfect for beating on. People really need to get their noses out of the air, not everyone has cash to throw around on expensive forks.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
get some nuts and start working out huh?

i picked up my fox 125r for 200 bucks.

its almost 3 lb's lighter.

cant argue with that eh primo.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
primo1289 said:
As for all the people who complain about the weight, they just need to get some nuts and start working out, I could eaisly bunnyhop my bike onto the top of a picnic table while I was rolling the DJ III.

the weight definatly is a problem. Bunnying hopping onto a picnic table is easy crap, it actually starts to matter when you start doing things that require rotation or landing rear tire. Ive had my bike set up light and heavy and its definatly harder to do things like fufanus and manual to 180. Its possible to do those things with the heavier setup, but its still harder. The latest version of the Dj 3 weights nearly 7 pounds, which is rediculous for a 4 inch fork that doesnt even preform that well.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
You guys all complain way too much, the djIII works good enough, and its cheap, sure the Sherman dj is better, but its double the price, I hit a lot of DJ's, and street which the fork works great for, but I also do a lot of downhill runs, and I have no complaints, I cracked the crown, and Zocchi replaced it for free, otherwise its been great.