Quantcast

DJ/Pump Track bike sizing

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So monkeys I want to replace my 14 year old DJ bike but I have a question about sizing.

If I want a bike more for pump tracks and some straightline jumps and not any tricks. Is going recommended sizes a good option or should I go with a long at 5'10'' for extra stability? Not doing any 4x racing or anything as I've always had reflexes of a sloth and I have snowboardcross results to prove it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You don't really need stability on a pump track. Just good high pressure low rolling resistance tyres and a bit of skill/talent.
The new breed of longer DJ bikes are for taller folk than you. (6ft+ generally)

But... if you're used to modern a geo big wheel mtb you will almost definitely feel like a properly sized DJ bike is unstable each time you switch over. sorta like most mtbers used to feel trying their first BMX.

What bikes are you looking at? I love a nice DJ bike.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oh... and FWIW I'm just a smidge under 6ft and rode 22" top tube DJ bikes (390-400mm reach, 400mm stays) with from my 20s right up until around 7yrs ago when I swapped to a Darmoor 4X with 420mm reach and 400mm stays. I needed a new frame but went for the longer reach Dartmoor mainly because there are no dirt jumps anywhere near me now but plenty pumptracks. It's great at pumptracks but I definitely wouldn't a want it any longer. and even now I still kinda miss the shorter bikes handling at times.

Is your old DJ bike in a rideable state?