Quantcast

DJ tires

cowboy-jeff

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
Basel Switzerland
Can someone recommend one of these tires for me. DMR Moto R 26x2.20 or DMR Digger 26x2.35 or The Maxis Holy Roller 26x240. I have a feeling I really can't go wrong with either Tire, but who knows. I would like something to keep me rolling thru the doubles since I'm still working on my pumping skills plus provide a little grip around the berms. I currently have Nokian NBX 26x2.3 F/R. and they feel like they're slowing me down a bit. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks. :confused:

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Depends on the soil at your trails.

I've had great luck with holy rollers.

If your trails are sandy and you need a bit more grip, get the Moto Diggers.

DMR Moto's are comparable to Holy rollers, I've heard nothing but good things about the Moto's but I've never tried to ride them so I'll agree with DirtjumpP.1 and say get the holyrollers!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
For me it's Holy Rollers vs. DMR Motos. I'd also like to try the 'Arrow Launch' tyre, but I havn't seen one over here. I don't like Twin Rails, (Way too heavy - Halo stuff in general is too heavy) and I just don't like the Diggers.

So:

Holy Rollers are a little heavier than DMR Motos in construction, and Holys are also slightly more suitable for really loose dirt. The tread pattern on Holys is slightly wider spaced (slightly) and the knobbles are slightly (again a small amount) bigger. The DMR rolls better. Overall I prefer the DMRs for my style of riding. DMRs are better for tarmac too as thay have knurling on the tighter spaced knobbles. The DMRs are very similar to the Primo street tyre - except maybe a tiny bit lighter. In the end I hate riding in the mud so in dry conditions the Moto works brilliantly on tarmac through to dry loose dirt which covers most stuff I ride, so I love it. If you do often ride in the mud or really loose pack I'd probably choose the Holy Roller.

I run DMR Motos on my Revell 24" and Holy Rollers on my 20". The extra rubber and 'bigness' of the Rollers is nice on a rigid bike, but if I could get Motos in 20" I'd probably switch out.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
formermtboarder said:
twinrail (24"x2.2")=625 grams each

holy roller (24"x2.4")=795 grams each

halo is soooooooooooo much heavier eh?
Hmm, having held them in my hand I thought they were pretty heavy.

Edit: Those are the manufacturer's weights too... Hmmm. I've never known a tyre manufacturer to lie about their weights. :D Some DH tyres are quoted over 500g underweight. See MBUK tyre shootout.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
well the holy roller is alot burleyer (.2" thicker, bigger knobbys) so it would make sence that their heavier....

then again halo doesnt seen to worry about weight (SAS 48 spoke)

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Changleen said:
For me it's Holy Rollers vs. DMR Motos. I'd also like to try the 'Arrow Launch' tyre, but I havn't seen one over here. I don't like Twin Rails, (Way too heavy - Halo stuff in general is too heavy) and I just don't like the Diggers.

Arrow Launches are really nice, but they do weigh a bit more then Holy Rollers. For awhile I ran a Launch in the rear, and a Holy Roller in front it was a great combo.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
my friend has holy rollers on his chase and we just rode wet rock freeriding and he was actually doing good the tires simi held up the gripped a good ammount i say go with them

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
formermtboarder said:
well the holy roller is alot burleyer (.2" thicker, bigger knobbys) so it would make sence that their heavier....

then again halo doesnt seen to worry about weight (SAS 48 spoke)
Yeah, I dunno. Maybe they are supposed to be lighter. I read a thing about tyre manufacture and one of the huge things on cheap tyres is the variance in weight. As the tyres are moulded a given amount of rubber is added, but for some manufacturers during a run the difference in the actual amount of rubber that goes into a mould is quite large. Like I was saying MBUK tested a bunch of tyres and found huge differences from quoted weights and then people wrote in saying 'my tyre is xxx' lighter or heavier. I went into my LBS, picked up a twinrail and I just thought it was pretty heavy. I don't have a scientific back up to that. If I ever have a bike shop, I'll have scales around the place.

cowboy-jeff

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
Basel Switzerland
I ended up buying a pair of Holly Rollers about a week ago and these tires rock! They really hold their speed well between the doubles and have enough traction on the berms and when I don't land so perfect. I'm jumping better with these tires, I know that sounds like a bad TV commercial, but it's true.
If I was into the Urban scene I would also use these tires.

Cheers.