Quantcast

DJ/Urban bike

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Hey,
ive been looking round my local bike stores and i was keen on the kona shred till today when i rode the mongoose thunderball....it was an Xtra Small frame i think with hayes mx2 (not broken in so they werent great but ive heard great things about em) and a Dirt Jam pro instead of the Dirt jam comp thats on the Kona...Im thinking i should go with this because though im sure the frame isnt as good as the kona, i wont be doing anything bigger than 6/7 foot drops and it has a 3 year warrantee so if i break it they pay for it...haha....some opinions would be great thanks

PS: for DJ and street is it good to run a small frame? im about 6 foot and i really like the feel of the smaller bike but i was just wondering how it would be for street

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
My suggestion would be an identiti or the kona if you want a small frame! How much you wanna spend there's tons out there!

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
hmm yeah, ive pretty much got it sorted that im getting my mongoose now... i really liked the frame and how it felt, like i cant manual, but on this i manualed for like 8 metres...it was great!!!! yeah, ive got a tight budget so the kona shred was looking great but the mongoose has got better **** on it so i may aswell go with that....

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Sweet! Enjoy your new ride! As Richard Humpty Vision would say, "ride what cha' like"! Keep posted up! I'm curious! No one around here has the Mongoose!

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
CreeP said:
I think if i were to go for a mongoose i'd go for that steel one the Ritual i think.
Yeah that one looks pretty nice but meh, the stock parts on the thunderball are really good so yeah, ill keep you guys posted as to what its like...it rode great in the store apart from the non-broken in brakes

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
skajumper said:
was an Xtra Small frame i think with hayes mx2 (not broken in so they werent great but ive heard great things
sorry to say it, but these brakes dont get better with time... braking them in does nothing

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
dirtjumpP.1 said:
sorry to say it, but these brakes dont get better with time... braking them in does nothing
Errr well my friend has a pair of them and they were like how the ones on the mongoose are now....after a day or 2 of riding they are stopping like...like...something that stops fast....hahaha

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Give it time! My pads were the the same way! Most new pads will be. Whether its a car, motorcycle, or bike! The pads must bed in to the rotors! On a brand new bike the will get better as they bed in!

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
skajumper said:
Errr well my friend has a pair of them and they were like how the ones on the mongoose are now....after a day or 2 of riding they are stopping like...like...something that stops fast....hahaha
yeah, they stop super quick for awhile, then its all....*grind grind grind* SQueeeeeeeeeekkkkkk*. get a set of avid mechs, they are way better and you wont be disapointed.

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
dirtjumpP.1 said:
yeah, they stop super quick for awhile, then its all....*grind grind grind* SQueeeeeeeeeekkkkkk*. get a set of avid mechs, they are way better and you wont be disapointed.
Yeah, ill probably upgrade the brakes as the first thing anyway, and if i do, ill do as you said and go the avid mechanicals...they sound sweet as, but yeah, i havent even freekin got the bike yet so i cant really upgrade ****...haha, it probably wont be mine for like a month or something....

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
CreeP said:
I think if i were to go for a mongoose i'd go for that steel one the Ritual i think.
I dunno....I read those things weigh over 40 pounds. Thats pretty bad for a 24in single speed. And its fork is designed for cross country

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
Ha!! Kinda like the old p.2's..........btw my hayes mech. never sqeak, unless I have the ebc's in 'em!! But, the avid's are better if you can afford the upgrade.