Quantcast

DJ/Winter Project (Unreal Cycles Junior)

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
With the DH season coming to an end and me getting my Torn Meniscus surgery next month, i wanted to keep busy.

I have been looking for a 26 Inch cruiser, one that i can use as in a pump track, street and some DJ's, but could not find any that i liked.

I stumbled across the Unreal Cycles website (through RideMonkey), and saw they were selling the Junior (DJ/4X frame) for 199.99... so i decided to buy one. I opted for a 12mm through axle for the real (to make it stiffer). I'll tell u the truth, when i ordered the frame i wasn't excited about it, i was like "whatever, i'll just built a beater"... but when i saw the frame i was impressed. The welds look great.

My Build: (so far)

I wanted to go with an all BMX/MTB Hybrid (basically all the parts will be BMX with the exception of the wheel set and fork)

I opted for the Primo Pro Cranks W/ Magnesium Pedals (Cost as much as the frame)

Standard Seat Post and BlkMkt Saddle

Again, i opted for a 12MM through axle in the rear for added stiffness...

The Hydroformed tubes are pretty nice...

What i don't like:

The Decals don't come off, i don't wanna ride my bike with a www.unrealcycles.com decal on the chain stay.... but wherever.

I'm running the bike SS and have to decide on a 34 or 36 tooth (most likely 34).

I'll keep you informed!

Last edited:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
That looks really nice.

Although a 12mm rear for a SS is a lot of unneeded weight. I assume you are going to use an 8-speed cassette hub and use a SS kit? I don't know offhand any 12mm thru hubs that are SS... That seems like a lot of stiffness at the axle, but less stiffness in the wheel. A true SS hub would have given you the same stiffness in a non-dished wheel...

Also looks like the rear dropout has only a few dedicated holes for the bolts to go through? That may make it very hard to adjust the chain tension for a SS. Or am I looking at it wrong??

Last edited:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I REALLY (REALLY) suck @ DJ's.... so weight will not be a factor for me, i can't even manual even if they sold them on Ebay and i got 2 of them.......... lol

Well the reason i got the 12mm was because i had a 8Speed (12 x 135) wheel laying around, do why not put it to use... ?

I will be running SS, @ maybe 16 inch chain stay, this frame can go from 15.75 inch to 17 inches.... so i'll keep it in the middle.

If i need to make the wheelbase shorter i'll have to take a link of the chain (which will suck in the middle of the trails) but other than that, it's cool... this will be a simple build.... i'll be cruising, dropping curbs, and hitting the Pump track here and there.

Last edited:

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Also looks like the rear dropout has only a few dedicated holes for the bolts to go through? That may make it very hard to adjust the chain tension for a SS. Or am I looking at it wrong??
yeah i just noticed that.... My Mechanic will figure it out i guess... lol

Chain Tensioner maybe?

Who knows i may just throw some gears on there... lets see... that will be a last minute decision.

Last edited:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Ok that makes sense. I thought you were building it from scratch. Using a rear wheel that you already have makes sense to save $$.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Just ordered an Argyle from PricePoint... :-)

i will test out this frame, i have an idea for the drop outs, we're not going to use the set screas, with the through axle we should be able to manipulate the tension of the chain....

we will dremel the drop outs to make it easy to slide back and forth.