Quantcast

DJ1 Travel Reduction

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Ok all I have a DJ1 (2003) on my bike which is set at 130mm and I want to reduce the travel to 4 inches.
I have been looking at the travel kits and it appears that there are 2 kits you "need."
One is the coil kit and it also says you need the top out coils.

I have heard rumor that if you use the top out coils that it does not reduce the height of the fork however.

Has anyone done this? Do you know if this second kit is required?

I have also heard people say that you can modify some plastic piece in there to reduce the fork height instead of the top out coil.

Does anyone have any info?

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i don't think you "need" the top out coil. I think it's just the plastic spacer that does it, but thtop out coil makes it feel better so you don't get a plunk plunk sound at the end of the stroke!

I think.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by Mag204
i don't think you "need" the top out coil. I think it's just the plastic spacer that does it, but thtop out coil makes it feel better so you don't get a plunk plunk sound at the end of the stroke!

I think.
But if you use the top out coil, does the fork height reduce?

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
Made this page months ago

Should be the same for a 2003 DJ1,Lots of forks have nuts instead of Allen bolts on the bottom like mine does,The nuts are almost as big as the holes they're recessed into,you will need to buy a six point socket and grind it down to fit.

You will need to shorten the preload spacers by the same length as the spacer you put on the damper rod.

mtbdirteater

Chimp
Oct 19, 2003
over the rear tire
Hey, I wonder if the parts are the same series in the 2004 DJ3?, they are shipping those as 110 travel and I want to change mine to 130, the opposite of what you are doing, Motionboy2.

Dave

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Here are the part numbers from tech at Marzocchi to reduce travel for the 03 DJ series.

Part number 5141123 for 110mm
Part number 5141168 for 80mm travel

According to the tech I talked to this is all that is required to reduce the travel. Just replace the stock top out springs with the new parts.

mtbdirteater

Chimp
Oct 19, 2003
over the rear tire
Originally posted by jon cross
Hey dirteater, mine is currently set at 130, and I'd like to reduce it. I'm not much of a susp mechanic, but if we can just swap coil stacks, I'd be willing. Email me at crossjj@lmc.edu if you're interested. Later
Jon
Hey, is your DJ3 a 2004? I think the parts are different from last year's with the silver crown.

I appreciate the offer, I've been riding it a while now at the stock 110, and it's not that bad because I can climb almost everything that I can on my XC bike too, which is a bonus, because I don't have to push it up just to bomb back down, and it's decent on drops for me for the most part, I put more air in it for anything more than a couple of feet, I'm still tweaking it. I would like to try respacing it to a 130, but something tells me I'd still like to have the parts around to switch it back if I wanted to. So I think I need to hold off on swapping parts for now, but would be interesting in buying the additional travel change kit parts. I've got a Super T laying here doing nothing now too, and I'm thinking of putting that on there to get back to the 20mm axle and 8 inch rotor. Gotta mull it over some more.

Regards,

Dave

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
htrdoug said:
Made this page months ago

Should be the same for a 2003 DJ1,Lots of forks have nuts instead of Allen bolts on the bottom like mine does,The nuts are almost as big as the holes they're recessed into,you will need to buy a six point socket and grind it down to fit.

You will need to shorten the preload spacers by the same length as the spacer you put on the damper rod.
doug, is this page still available? i want to reduce my dj3's travel as well...

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
corey_dcstreet said:
doug, is this page still available? i want to reduce my dj3's travel as well...

Nope,sorry,had to make room for unimog rockcrawler pics

It's pretty damn easy to shorten a ssv or ssvf damper rod marzocchi,take it apart and add 1/2" pvc pipe to the top out springs and shorten preload spacers a like amount. Raise oil level a little bit at a time until it stops bottoming.(don't add more than 10mm of oil height)also add air pressure to suit.

If it seems daunting to you better hire help,but I prefer to work on my own toys because I have no concern how long it takes me to get it perfect for me,Service tech at a shop usually work on it until it's "good enough"

I never come here anymore(got email notice) so reply to this message if you need to reach me,I won't get a P.M.(sold all my rides down to my Chute,and it's got a crappy EXR on it and second rate components)

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
cool, thanks for replying doug. i managed to dig up the text of your old page thanks to google's cache: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:z2ozLv_hESUJ:home.insightbb.com/~d.may/index2.html+&hl=en

the text helped immensely (little things like using an adjustable wrench to knock the bottom of the dampers off), and i did mine last nite. just need to add oil.

any way you can email me the original pictures that accompanied your page? i'd like to post the page on my site, i've had a few people interested and i think it would help.

i'd take my own pix but i really don't feel like pulling the fork apart again just to document.

hit me at corey@dcstreet.com. thanks!

mtbiker88

Chimp
May 2, 2013
Bumping this thread.

I have 2003 DJ-1 that I dropped to 4" and stiffened up back in 2003 or 04. Now, 10 years later I forget what I did and would like to re-mount this fork on an old frame but with its full 5" of travel.

How do I raise the travel back to 5" ? Thanks!!!