Quantcast

DJ2 problem

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
So my 06 Dj2 is not getting full travel not matter what i do. I took all the air out and fooled around with the rebound. Is the spring to hard no idea what weight it's for never looked at it. What do i do just flip the bike so the oil goes to the crown and take the lowers off? Im about 195-200 right now. Also there seems to be some top out but not to bad even though i reduced the rebound.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
So my 06 Dj2 is not getting full travel not matter what i do. I took all the air out and fooled around with the rebound. Is the spring to hard no idea what weight it's for never looked at it. What do i do just flip the bike so the oil goes to the crown and take the lowers off? Im about 195-200 right now. Also there seems to be some top out but not to bad even though i reduced the rebound.
what do you mean by not getting full travel ? you don't want a dirt jump fork to bottom out. ever !

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Thats because the spring IS hitting the inside of the stanctionc.....

The point of the DJ series is to be incredibly stiff - if you want a more plus fork, get something else.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Just pull the springs from the top (after letting air out, remove caps w/ socket) and see if it will get full travel then. If not, some other problem.

I've got an '06 DJ2 as well, and I've never thought it was "too" stiff. Yeah, I get some spring clack too on hard hits, but mine is also lowered to 55mm. You can put a rubber sleeve on the springs or try to plasti-kote a section or something, but it hasn't bothered me that much to try anything like that. I don't get any harsh rebound top out either like you mentioned.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I am working on a friend's bike right now with the same fork. I noticed the same thing. It is incredibly stiff (I CANNOT bottom it and I could bottom my old '03 DJII) and it tops out quite a bit. Not a fan....

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I am working on a friend's bike right now with the same fork. I noticed the same thing. It is incredibly stiff (I CANNOT bottom it and I could bottom my old '03 DJII) and it tops out quite a bit. Not a fan....
wait, let me just get this straight. You're complaining you cannot bottom a fork, so therefore, you are not a fan... ? Set it up correctly and you won't have top out issues. It's not a dirt jam.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
wait, let me just get this straight. You're complaining you cannot bottom a fork, so therefore, you are not a fan... ? Set it up correctly and you won't have top out issues. It's not a dirt jam.
Let me clarify. That is not why I didn't like it. I don't like it because it feels like complete garbage IMO. The older DJ wouldn't bottom under normal conditions and had a much better feel to it. There is only so many ways to adjust that fork and I found that for it to feel its best, you'll have that top out now and again because of how stiff it is. Right now I'm riding a lowered 4X so I could really care less either way. Just throwing my opinion out there....