Quantcast

DJ'ing for girlz

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Sorry for posting another "bike for my girl" thread but here goes. I'm having trouble figuring out if it is worthwhile to get my fiance a DJ bike. She loves playing at the BMX track on my bike but it is definitely too big for her. We are in the market for a MTB but unsure weather to go with a small DJ (Spec. P.bike most likely) or to get a woman specific bike.

My fiance is tiny about 5'3" 110lb

Any female monkeys here DJ?

Are there any DJ frames which are better suited to female riders?

Anyone ride on a small/short/whatever DJ frame and like it?

Anyone ride on a large/long/regular DJ frame and like it?

Is a DJ frame gonna be too aggressive for her first serious MTB?

What about a "grom" model with 24" wheels (kinda kills trail riding though)?

Thanks for the help girls! :thumb:

-Brian

Edit: Oops. Forgot there is only one size for the P.bike frames. Anyway the question is still the same.

Last edited:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Not sure how much help I will really be, but I have a small (14"?) Kona Cowan SS DJer, though I don't really use it much as we don't have any good dirt jumps locally. I built it more for a fun stunt riding bike and to take to Ray's to learn to jump.

As for the women's specific bike...she should really get measured. Women tend to have shorter torso's and long legs (I don't and I am 5'4" tall) and if that's truly her build, then a WSD might be a better fit for her. Also, she's quite light so weight of the bike could be an issue too so please consider that as well.

My first DH bike had a 24" rear wheel (the frame was too big for me to have any standover without it) and it worked out great for me, but I don't think she's really small enough to not use 26" wheels, especially if she's going to be using it as a trail bike too.

I would really suggest having her throw a leg over as many different bikes as possible to see what feels best for her. Having a properly fitted bike as a beginner will help her to grow and progress as a rider with much less frustration due to sizing issues.

If you were local to me, I would happily let her test out any of my bikes...where are you located?

Not sure about the geometry of a DJ bike for trail riding 'cause I don't ride mine on the trails at all...I have a bunch of other bikes that would beat me up if I tried.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Thanks for the tips!

I'm in NorCal so if you're anywhere near rays than.... but I appreciate the offer.

We plan on doing a "demo day" for her at a shop (Livermore Cyclery if anyone cares) which has a good selection of DJ bikes including a grom model. I plan on making her parking lot test as many bikes as I can get her on (too bad we couldn't make it to Sea Slaughter).

I'm also worried about the weight of the bike. I'm considering getting her a short Yeti DJ frame, those things are silly light and tiny.

Anyone know of a women's specific bikes which has geometry appropriate for jumping?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Brian, I don't think 24" wheels would kill trail riding. True they don't roll bumps quite as good, but the maneuverability for a person her size is so much better.

High-end choices:

* TONIC FABRICATIONS Fall Guy 24"
* Union Street Molly Maguire 24"
* Superco Satellite 24"

Medium-Range 24" mtbmx completes:

* Specialized P.Grom

* DMR Drone 24" (complete only $579) (comes with rigd fork but is suspension compatible.
http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-4796-dmr-drone-24-complete-bike.aspx

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Thats a good point cmc. I guess riding a 24" bike for her is kinda like riding a 26" bike for someone my size.

The Spec. P.grom is looking better and better (I get discounts on The Big S).

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
Any low hardtail frame should be fine. I agree on the 24" wheels too. Just make sure she has gears in the back so she can use it for normal trail riding.

My girlfriend is 5'5" and rides a 26" Steelhead. She had it single speed at first, but now has gears, and loves it even more. She rides everything with it, bmx track, trails, street, but haven't really gone Djing with her yet tho.

OH and make sure her bars are short! 28" bars were seriously too big for my girlfriend lol... 25.5" is where she has them now. Silly me thinking my bar width was ok for her...

DirtDivaDH

Chimp
Oct 16, 2005
Beautiful Moorpark, CA
I am also 5'2 and love my Yeti DJ. It has a pretty slack head angle and low standover and is really snappy out of the gate. I use it at the track, around town and on the pitiful little doubles that I can conquer. I will actually be selling it very soon with new sponsorship....
I highly recommend a hardtail for a smaller female at the BMX track, though; suspension out there is just like running through wet cement....

Send me an email if you are interested-dirtdivadh@yahoo.com
(I never check this)

DirtDivaDH

Chimp
Oct 16, 2005
Beautiful Moorpark, CA
I totally disagree on the bars; all guys think that we have to have them shoulder width. 25 inches? Are you kidding me? make sure you put training wheels on, because you have no turning ability with those little stubs! A wider bar, although strange at first, gives so much more control in turns, on straight aways and to pump with. With narrow bars, you have to keep your elbows in, which does not allow you to fully pump your bike over things. Also, in a BMX gate, that means all you have is your shoulders to throw you forward; you would not be able to efficiently use your arms, back or hips. I am a midget, and I proudly run 30 inch bars. Check out Lisa Myklak, Emily Johnston, Melissa Buhl and Jill Kintner. All wide bars. Get a clue dudes! Just because we are ladies does not been we need wimpy little bars!