Quantcast

DJing with a full susp

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Does anyone jump with a full suspension bike? If so, how do you set up your suspension? Stiff fork? Slow rebound for the rear?

I'm no dirt jumper but I gave it a shot yesterday. My bike (Spec SX Trail) is setup for DH so it's really plush. I was nose-diving badly coming off the lips and it was scary as sh!t. Any tips?

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Stiff, stiff, stiff. There's a reason a majority of people jump hardtails and with their front fork extra stiff. You don't want the suspension to absorb any of the lip.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I used to dj on a 4" bike. I kept pumping up the rear air shock so much that eventually it rode like a hardtail. When I finally started riding a HT, there was almost no difference.

Just run it stiff. My biggest gripe with jumping on fs bikes is that they flex more than most hardtails. Suspension action aside, most of them feel a little noodly.

Blown04GT

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Raleigh, NC
^ can't argue with that! Sick as usual man.

I tried with my (dare I say) Trek EX8 the other day and with the shocks locked out it's just like a hardtail pretty much. I did try it with the shocks active and it did feel wierd when they absorbed the lip, but it didn't kill it too bad.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
i ride my bottlerocket daily on DJ's, DHX coil, 66rc2x, i just turn up the compression, add some propedal, and banch, and it banches quite well
15 foot hip

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i rocked out a big**** spec and after that went to a cowan DS, i run soft compared to most fully djers but still stiff, the more soft the less air and distance

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I think NORAD gets alerts when he rides. Similiar trajectory to firing a rocket launched missile..

The Double is pretty much the perfect fully to DJ with.

gideon

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
San Francisco
i've got a bottlerocket setup super stiff
when i go djing i use a hardtail with <3" travel marz dj2 with 80wt oil

if you got big, jumps with long lips and trannys and intended for big bikes and you dont need to squeeze out the next one(s) then a dually would do

rough, dh or mtb style low, where you need good braking and far i use the dually (like pacifica, ca and auburn)

this is just my 2cents of course, a good rider can ride anything on almost any bike

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
I have friends that jump squishy bikes. I jumped a Stinky for 2 years followed by an SX Trail for the next 3. Both are setup squishy but with a slightly fast rebound for more spring off the lips. It's not the bike--you just have to learn how to jump it. Run what you brung. Ride, ride, ride--you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Wave, yeah man... I just need to learn how to jump the damn thing. And it's something that I'm terrified to do! Fuggit! I'll just pad up and launch.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I know it's not a 'purpose' built DJ bike, but I DJ my Morewood Ndiza ST at any spot. Like everybody said, you just have to crank up the air pressure in the shock (I put mine up to 170-180 psi) and stiffen up the front suspension. I never was at a spot wishing I had a hardtail or a '20 (given we don't have some crazy tech lines)!

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
What about having a single bike as a 4x/slalom bike that will also be your dirtjump bike? I want to get the Yeti 4x as a slalom/fun bike that will also be my major dj bike. Is this a good idea?

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
yeah that will work fine. i was out jumping my full on dh bike the other day. you just have to jump a little differently than everyone else out there.

just on a side note, all in all if you are going DJ's right its not going to strain a bike that much so you don't have to worry about it hurting your bike.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i've been dj'ing my bottlerocket for a while now although i can't really mess w/ the rear because it's a basic fox vanR so i don't have any boost or pro-pedal to add.
i can tell that i have to go faster and pump harder than the HT guys to make rhythm sections but it's doable. i have just recently traded out my haro thread 1 HT frame to a friend for his P1 frame which has allowed me to start dj'ing a HT again. the haro frame just didn't suit me very well and the P is what i learned on several years ago so it's like an old girlfriend. i must say that it is much easier to flow through a rhythm section on the P than on the BR, it's just that my mistakes hurt a little more ;)
step-up after tight rhythm section on the BR

new paint on my freshly built up P