Quantcast

dj's to tranny

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
as some of u may kno, ive found a sweet new spot with an 8 pack i believe and there all jumps to tranny(obviously). but i cant for the life of me get up the courage to hit the rhythem section. its like ill go up to it then for some reason ill grab a habful of brake and stop right before takeoff. now, dont get me wrong ive hit jumps this size before but i dont kno how much speed to get so that i wont overshoot and still be able to pump the tranny to the next double. how can i do this so i wont over shoot? also how would i go about pumping into the next jump? whats a normal sized gap for about a 3-4 foot jump?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by mcA896
as some of u may kno, ive found a sweet new spot with an 8 pack i believe and there all jumps to tranny(obviously). but i cant for the life of me get up the courage to hit the rhythem section. its like ill go up to it then for some reason ill grab a habful of brake and stop right before takeoff. now, dont get me wrong ive hit jumps this size before but i dont kno how much speed to get so that i wont overshoot and still be able to pump the tranny to the next double. how can i do this so i wont over shoot? also how would i go about pumping into the next jump? whats a normal sized gap for about a 3-4 foot jump?
I am a pretty lousy dirt jumper myself. I know this doesnt help much but you just have to commit.

Don't look at it, roll into the spot, put on yoru helmet and jump it. The more you look the harder it gets (trust me on this).

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
a few things:

- start on SMALL jumps
- start on tabletops as opposed to straight-up doubles
- you might have to dig your own beginner jumps....
- follow people who are a little better than you so you can get a sense of the speed necessary to clear the bigger lines, they sorta "tow you in"...
- practice practice practice is the only way you'll build up confidence....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by DßR
a few things:

- start on SMALL jumps
- start on tabletops as opposed to straight-up doubles
- you might have to dig your own beginner jumps....
- follow people who are a little better than you so you can get a sense of the speed necessary to clear the bigger lines, they sorta "tow you in"...
- practice practice practice is the only way you'll build up confidence....
and on that note...DONT CHOP THE LIPS OFF OTHER PEOPLE'S DOUBLES!

They may get mad and beat you with a stick..YOU HEAR THAT YOU LITTLE PUNKS? IM GONNA GET YOU WITH A STICK!

:p :D

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm no big jumper myself, but I'd warn you to steer clear of any scary trannies, like this one:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I recently hit a set a Swannanoa in Asheville. They were super lippy, but tightly spaced. I had no idea the speed and boosting necessary to get in the rythym. So I rode limp. I took what the lip gave me the first couple of times and rode as if I knew I was going to case them. So it wasn't a suprized when it happened. Then as I learned the rythym, things started to happen and I finally cleared them all. But I did have to do a little fixing on the ones I messed up.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
the thing is, ive hit jumps larger than this its just geting up the balls to hit the doubles. raid, i dont see how to hit the first jump in a rhythem as they are pretty tightly spaced.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I also suck. One thing that I have learned is that once you get so that you can hit 1 jump smoothly (not necessasrliy part of a rhythm section) , it is easier to build speed going through a rhythm section than scrub it. Being able to hit a jump in more than one way- fast & low vs. high & floated/slow- also makes it easier. Always be looking 1 ahead.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have the same "fear" of rhythm sections, I have hit some larger jumps and some wider spaced sets, but the BMX style DJ's f w/ my head! You just have to do like suggested and "train" behind someone who can nail the set and gauge your speed that way, (I usually go a bit faster since I can't pump as good as some of the better riders) stay loose and be ready to land on the brakes if you messed up. You can stop a lot faster than you might think. Keep trying man if it was easy we'd all be good at it! I pretty much suck...but I keep trying and slowly getting better:D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
As long as the set was built by someone who knows what they're doing, the first jump is really the only one you need to worry about. If you've been riding long enough to have a set of skills that enable you to think you can handle these sets......then you already have instincts on a bike. What I mean is, just figure out what you need for the first jump.... the rest of the set will come.......slower than you think too ;) . Don't try to mentally conquer the whole set before your jumping the first jump. That will just get intimidating. Hit the first one and don't panic. Almost every set I've seen has an out. Aim left or right and you can miss the second jump. I do this almost every time I ride somewhere new.

After you've gotten comfortable doing that, just do it again but don't bail out. You'll either make the second one, overshoot, or come up a little short. More than likely, as long as you're relaxed, hit the top of the landing and going with the flow, you'll make it though. Keep doing this until you've hit every one in the set. You'll also learn the characteristics of each jump as you move along in the set. (suck up #2, boost #3 etc). A general rule you might want to think about is keeping your front wheel level or maybe a little high the first time on each jump. Smacking the crap out of the landing with your back wheel is lame but it's better than catching your front wheel on the backside of the landing. It's what I call "safety position"

There's a reason they're called rhythm jumps. They are just that.......and much easier to hit once you get into that rhythm rather than just thinking about them all at once before you've attempted any of them. They should flow into each other.....not accumulate as a growing mental threat to your sanity. That rhythm starts as soon as you hit the landing of the first jump. Just stay relaxed, wear your pads and take the first step.