Quantcast

DMR Rhythm?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Does anyone have any experience on a DMR Rhythm? I'd be using it mainly for dirtjumping, but also some street riding. I've never really dirtjumped on a bike with 24's but I like the idea. Let me know, thanks.

Dave

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
i've ridden a rythm with a a ridge fork and it feels very nice, bit slacker headtube (IMO) than a normaly 24 inch cruiser so it was really stable jumping, also have a look at the sidekick frame, it's a little bigger and takes a suspension fork without raking out the front end to much.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I've had Identiti Dr. Jekyll with 24" and 26" wheels, DMR Trailstar LT with 24" and 26" wheels, and now a DMR Rhythm with 24" wheels

the Rhythm is the most "bmx" of these bikes I've had, the 24" specific frame is somewhat different to the dual wheel size Dr. Jekyll or TRailstar ./ Sidekicks. using a 24" only wheelset allows tight 15" rear stays and longer 22.5" top tube, giving a shorter wheelbase for steep bmx double jumps, but long enough in the front to chuck it around in the air.

it feels alot more sturdy than the Trailstar or Sidekick, the tubing seems a bit thicker, even though the frame is tiny it still weighs about 6lbs? this is lighter than some "hardcore" aluminium frames on the market, and being 4130 cromoly you know theres a lot of strong metal there...

the bmx bottom bracket is the key to the frame, it makes things real stiff / flex free. I use FSA Smack Daddy bmx cranks which weigh 1,5kgs and do not budge / flex which makes the bike feel really responsive when pedalling.

the back of the seattube is reinforced with a bracing bar, there is a gusset under the headtube and downtube junction, otherwise a simple and subtle design of frame. it has hydraulic hose mounts, rear derailleur cable mounts and derallier hanger on the supplied DMR chain tugs. the horizontal dropous are thick and simple, very tough and easy to adjust with the tugs.

ideally a 4" fork like the 2003 DJ2 I got, or DMR's rigid Trailblade fork if you want it simpler.

I reckon it takes about 2.3" in the rear, I've got Tioga Comp III, Primo Dirt Monster and DMr Moto 2.2" which all work fine.

the steering is really snappy so take care on the trails, this gives the DMR real quick steering and nimble handling, feels amazing in skatepark, dirt, street, vert ramp, mini ramp (!!), etc.

the 24" specific design totally makes a better riding bike than the earlier bikes I had.

Attachments

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
That's awesome Roel_Koel, nice bike you got there. How much was the frame? I'm thinking about using Surly 1X1 singlespeed hubs with rhynolights for wheels, and I have a DJ 2 right now, but its at 5 inches. I'm assuming I can take it down to 4 right? I'm really psyched about getting one, and you do really like it at the dirtjumps? That's mainly what I do, some skatepark here and there, and some street. Oh yeah, and have you found it at all easy to manual around? Thanks again, you don't know anyone who has one for sale by any chance do you?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
So I'm pretty well committed. I talked to a guy here in town, and I'm selling my .243. I'm gonna be ordering the Rhythm within a week or 2 hopefully. How are you running singlespeed Roel, are you using something like Surly hubs and a bmx cog, or something else? Ooh I can't wait, Now I just need to build some wheels.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
frame cost GBP Stirling £220 from www.wadescycles.co.uk

you can get a kit to reduce DJ fork to 4" of travel. I tried Z-1 with 5" on the Rhythm and it was a little too long to work right.

I'm using a Hope Bulb rear hub (8/9 speed) with Gusset singlespeed convertor kit (2 cone shaped alloy cassette spacers, 16T thick sprocket and 18T thick sprocket for £18.99 again from Wades). You can split a cassette and pack out a single sprocket with spacers but the Gusset kit gives you 2 proper bmx style thick sprockets which are sandwiched between 2 neat cone spacers.

then i've got a Mosh bmx 41T chaindisc on the front, swapping down to 39t for summer trails riding. running a 16T on back. Sachs PC-7X bmx chain in gold colour.

Attachments

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Here's the only thing that I'm not too wild about, the decals on the top tube contain a bit too much pink for my liking. Again, sorry for the horrible quality.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Thanks man, I can't wait to get it all built up, I'm just waiting on cranks and spokes now. I'll post some more pics once its done. I'll get some better ones this time.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
Here's the only thing that I'm not too wild about, the decals on the top tube contain a bit too much pink for my liking. Again, sorry for the horrible quality

de-sticker that Rhythm,. including the head badge!

26.8mm seatpost size for all DMR frames

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
My stickers are clear-coated on there, I already tried to peel them off. And I can't take off the head-badge, I think it looks kinda cool. I got it built up today and went dirtjumping for a little while. Now I can't say much for only having it for only and hour or so, but the thing Rocks!! I immediatly tried some of the jumps that I was comfortable doing and nailed all of them first try. I decided to go with a V brake in the back and an Avid disc in the front. So, I'll have a better review and some pics up within a day or so.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I saw your bike on Pinkbike, that thing is sick! What's your fork recomendation, I'm using a 2003 Marzocchi DJ2 set at 5 inches. I'm trying to decide if I want to lower the travel and use something like the DMR Wingbar. I tried to go jumping yesterday and it was so windy I was getting pulled right off the jumps. I haven't had a real good day to go jumping since it was built.

Veero

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Southampton UK
I'd love to go riding mate but I live in England.
If I ever pop over to the states I'll look you up.
The fork I am running is a 2000 Marzocchi Z1 5" travel.
I'd go for a Z1 any year or new DJ1. I find 5" gives me a bit more room for error when landing, but 4" is cool.
Also get a wingbar they are really good.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Veero

sir schmokey

Chimp
Mar 13, 2003
LALA Land, CA
hells yeah! i finally sold my rm6 frame and i'm gonna order my hardtail in the next day or two. i had a question, though. is a 26 front wheel workable on a rhythm? i'm using it primarily for jumps, but i've found that a 24 up front isn't the greatest for all around trail riding.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I think with a 24 in the back and a 26 in the front, the geometry might be kinda weird. I use mine almost 100% for dirtjumping, and I really like the 24's. If you want to ride trails other than jumps I would just get 26 inch wheels. Maybe even try the DMR sidekick, it's pretty similar to the Rhythm, but can use 26ers.

Veero

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Southampton UK
I reckon running 24"s for general trail riding is fine. True you do lose a very small amount of rolling ability over roots and stuff but it more than makes up for it being more whippy and controlable round technical stuff.

Even though im only running a back brake on my rhythm I take it out on long rides and singletrack loads just because its lighter than my dh rig and it still handles sweetly.

However if you are definitely going to run a 26" up front go for a 4" fork then it wont handle too wierd.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Sorry about that last one, I'm all psyched about my new camera and accidentally posted in the wrong forum. Here is a pic of my built DMR. I love the thing, it kicks some serious ass.

Veero

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Southampton UK
You've got a pair of sweet bikes there Dave :)
The chain looks a bit slack on the Rhythm tho :eek:
Is that a 24" on the front?

If you want to reduce the size of yer photos without losing too much quality then get Paint Shop Pro or something and open the file, reduce it in size a bit and re-save it as another name with.jpg after it. That should make it smaller and able to go on the site.

Lol just found this...How cool??
:nuts:

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Yeah the chain is way too slack. I need to adjust that. Although it does seem that there is a huge difference between the high and low spot in the chain.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Originally posted by Li'l Dave
Yeah the chain is way too slack. I need to adjust that. Although it does seem that there is a huge difference between the high and low spot in the chain.
Haha. The chain is the first thing that everyone notices when they see a picture of that bike ;).