Quantcast

Do anti-war Protestors have an effect?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The dueling protests in Crawford got me to thinking (other than it seems an awful lot like a South Park episode) what effect is the protesting having.

Does it have an effect on government policy?

Does it have an effect on the Iraqi insurgency?

Or has it been a waste of energy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I doubt it has a direct effect on policy. It may effect public opinion which could change policy. The recent protests seemed to coincide with a drop in support for Bush, personally I hope this is not related. If public opinion is swayed by some chick on the side of the road and not actual facts I have lost all hope.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
Dude I lost all hope for this country years ago.
I've been hoping all the dumb people will kill themselves off with gun accidents, cigarettes, not wearing seatbelts, unprotected sex and McDonalds. It doesn't seem to be working fast enough. :o:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
uhmmmm apparently not, they havent stopped one yet.

the US of f'n A is like a corporation, they ask their employees their opinions then go ahead and do whatever the hell they want. welcome to america beeeeeetches.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I find the lack of faith in activism expressed in this thread depressing.

Anyone remember the civil rights movement?

Yes, strong lobbying is an important component to actually getting your message into the legislative process, but public protest certainly can change attitudes.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ohio said:

Yes, strong lobbying is an important component to actually getting your message into the legislative process, but public protest certainly can change attitudes.
I think the lack of faith in activism stems from the government doing whatever the hell they want, regardless of what's good for us or what we want. Screw this sad excuse for a democracy. I would leave except it would give N7 something to crow about.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Echo said:
I think the lack of faith in activism stems from the government doing whatever the hell they want, regardless of what's good for us or what we want. Screw this sad excuse for a democracy. I would leave except it would give N7 something to crow about.
Protesting is only part of it. Lobbying is the other part. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the system and the way to play the game. If you want your voice heard you need to be smart about where/how/to whom you express it.

Complaining about the system doesn't change it (well, unless you lobby to change the system), it just gives more advantage to the people that ARE using it. Whether or not I agree with Cindy, her protest IS adding strength to certain lobbies. She is somewhat effectively using the system to achieve an ends.

If someone thinks of a better way, they should create a voice and a lobby and try to enact that change.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ohio said:

:p:p:p

Nice going... insulting the civil rights movement by putting the blind liberal hatrid of Bush on the same level...!

:thumb:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
N8 said:
:p:p:p

Nice going... insulting the civil rights movement by putting the blind liberal hatrid of Bush on the same level...!

:thumb:
What about the people who aren't blind, aren't liberal, but still think Bush is a criminal who is on track to destroy the world?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
It seems to me that this protest is having an effect of sorts. Well, it's not actually the protest, it's the media coverage. I am encouraged that Bush's approval rating is taking a dive.

As for the insurgents, I doubt they really give too much of a crap. They may be slightly encouraged that more americans don't back Bush's policies, but by now like everyone else, in fact probably more so than everyone else, they understand that Bush does what he wants, and what happens to them will not really be affected by American opinion unless these numbers get much much worse, which I doubt will ever happen. I mean, N8 is never going to come round is he? And there's many more like him. GW could kill his first born and he'd still have N8's vote. I doubt they'll start celebrating until they actually see a reduction in troop numbers. In fact didn't Bush send 1500 more troops just a couple of days ago? To the resistance in Iraq I suspect that is more of a pressing concern.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
What about the people who aren't blind, aren't liberal, but still think Bush is a criminal who is on track to destroy the world?

Meh.. you have 3 more years to tough it out..then try put Hillary in there...

:p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Meh.. you have 3 more years to tough it out..then try put Hillary in there...

:p
Maybe we could put a moderate Republican in there like McCain. Wait, nope that couldn't happen. The swifties and their far right ilk won't let that happen.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
MMike said:
Has ANY protest of any sort ever changed ANYTHING?
I dunno. I believe it has. Maybe you'll get a chance to talk to Gandhi some day. Or the Boston Tea Partiers. Or the Mau Maus. Or Nelson Mandela. No protest = no change.