Quantcast

Do any DH mountains have plans to open this year?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
@mykel I rode across the street from Horseshoe today. Parking lot was full pretty much.

One guy in line said he got in two runs over two hours, the line was longggggg.
2 hours for 2 - what 2 minute runs?
FTS - I am not driving 3 hours for that.
It is barely worth it when you can bang out back to backs for an entire day with no lift line.

Maybe a mid-week run after things settle down a bit....will have to keep an eye on it. My Avy cartridge re-tune is done and supposed to ship beginning of the week, so I'm still a couple weeks out.

Any word on your wayward suspension?

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
2 hours for 2 - what 2 minute runs?
FTS - I am not driving 3 hours for that.
It is barely worth it when you can bang out back to backs for an entire day with no lift line.

Maybe a mid-week run after things settle down a bit....will have to keep an eye on it. My Avy cartridge re-tune is done and supposed to ship beginning of the week, so I'm still a couple weeks out.

Any word on your wayward suspension?
Two minutes...with the Trek across the hill. Sub minute runs I'm guessing, haven't been there in two seasons. Across the street is better....

Edit - just looked. The old ocup trail across street record in strava is 1:32. Similar descent...

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Gondola was spinning at Winter Park yesterday at one point when we drove past, I think they're opening in three weeks...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just found out Nationals will be at Winter Park in August. I assume they're dropping the qualification requirement this year since there's so few races happening before then.
i read somewhere that for XC nationals they're considering a time trial format (1 rider at a time) in a point to point race instead of a mass start format loop race.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
i read somewhere that for XC nationals they're considering a time trial format (1 rider at a time) in a point to point race instead of a mass start format loop race.
Yep, I won't be racing XC this year, gotta start training a little earier for that. Also, my DH bike never showed up so I'll be leaving that discipline to the kids. Enduro it is with the other washed up old pros!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Just got emails from Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone and Breck. Out of all of them, only The Beav will have bike haul. (that's their words for riding the lift with your bike). You can still ride the trails, just not the lift with your bike.

WTH? Why the beav? That being said, I'll be there this weekend...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's what we did on Sunday.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
how'd it work out? was it point to point format?
Well it worked out good cuz I won.

Oh, the race. Yeah. We sent racers every 30 seconds. They send the fastest riders first, slowest riders last, attempting to minimize passing on the trail. Although there were only around 40 or so riders, I was surprised they had everyone out on the course by the time I got done. It was a fairly short distance though, like an all-out sprint. This is maybe the biggest disadvantage, with bigger crowds and a longer course, it would probably really string out the racers and time requirement for the event. Probably not a big issue in some formats, like DH, but possibly for bigger XC races with a wide range of abilities. We started and finished almost in the same spot, basically on opposite sides of the start tent. The route starting and finishing were on separate trails. Masks required for check-in and post-ride.

The thing that I find pretty amazing is that fairly evenly matched racers are pretty damn consistent over long distances. It's different, because you don't have other riders to push you and to try and keep up with, but there's still pressure and you are used to pushing to that exertion level. It'd be interesting to analyze the times though and see where you are faster/slower compared to when following people or bunched up. It's more rare for the fastest riders to be riding alone for most of a race, they are usually grouped together, sometimes for a little aero help, but usually just because their fitness is so close.

Racers spread out in the pre-race meeting:

106413910_10223468170791684_4047483003572921825_n.jpg

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
because Stickline ?!

no Keystone this year? Ugh.
Ahhh...stickline. If you were alive today I'd still be afraid of you. At least on my 2001 Santa Cruz Superlight. :)

As for Keystone, Vail....Well, I guess I can ride my ebike up the road? And hope no one notices on the down trails that I shouldn't have an ebike on them? Bah, give me a ticket. Wouldn't be the same leaving Vail/Keystone etc. without feeling like they took way more money from me than originally thought...

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
All local lift served trails (Bailey, Beech, Sugar, Windrock, and Snowshoe) are now up and running. I've not been, but from what I've heard, Beech and Snowshoe at least were pretty busy the past few weeks.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
All local lift served trails (Bailey, Beech, Sugar, Windrock, and Snowshoe) are now up and running. I've not been, but from what I've heard, Beech and Snowshoe at least were pretty busy the past few weeks.
Heard the same about snowshoe. I think Beech certainly has more people there because random tourists are riding the lift to the top to gawk at stuff AND their lift is really slow--like as slow as the old Sugar lift was. It's also not detachable so loading people is a shit show and the lifties are constantly stopping the damn thing.

TLDR: Go to Sugar. Far better trails, new jumps installed and a full jump line coming (prob end of season or next season), better lift, less BS.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Killington, Highland and Thunder here in the northeast have been open for some time. I’ve been to Thunder quite a few times and the lift lines haven’t been terrible the days I’ve gone. I think maybe 15-20 minutes was the longest I waited, and that was just one Saturday in the middle of the day. Most of the time it’s 5 minutes or less. I talked to a buddy that was at Highland on a Thursday and said he waited an hour and a half in line at one point. Haven’t been to Killington yet, but their lines are usually nonexistent.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Killington, Highland and Thunder here in the northeast have been open for some time. I’ve been to Thunder quite a few times and the lift lines haven’t been terrible the days I’ve gone. I think maybe 15-20 minutes was the longest I waited, and that was just one Saturday in the middle of the day. Most of the time it’s 5 minutes or less. I talked to a buddy that was at Highland on a Thursday and said he waited an hour and a half in line at one point. Haven’t been to Killington yet, but their lines are usually nonexistent.
Ive given up on Highland when it comes to the lift. Will probably hit a couple Wensduro’s (after hours pedal up runs) with friends but that’s about it.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Heading up to Tahoe next week for some camping/riding. Was planning on hitting N*, but the lift line looks ridiculous. One of these days I'll be able to ride my DH bike again.

Last edited:

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Hour and a half?! Just push up the hill already.
That’s what he said. Although he was really high at the time. I know they added bike carriers and beefed up the old chairs over the winter. They were hoping to cut down on the lift lines. I’ve heard from other people that the lines have been crazy there this year as well. Not sure if they’re only allowing 2 people per chair or something because of Covid. I’ve been wanting to ride there, but not if the lines are like that midweek.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Damn. How many runs were you able to get in?
3-1/2 runs. I just went to guarantee getting a season pass, N* is limiting season passes for the year. They are cutting off ticket sales when they reach a certain number daily is what they are saying. So either buy online or get there early and be prepared to wait in ALL the lines.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
3-1/2 runs. I just went to guarantee getting a season pass, N* is limiting season passes for the year. They are cutting off ticket sales when they reach a certain number daily is what they are saying. So either buy online or get there early and be prepared to wait in ALL the lines.
Their online price for 1 day is $109 :crazy: