Quantcast

Do any DH mountains have plans to open this year?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
That crowded?

Aside from opening day I haven't heard anything about blue being crowded.
Trails closed, no maintenance besides the jumps on Dominion.
Domboo, Alpine, Tempest and Indy are all washed out and rutted.
Anything to the right of Ripper is closed (Step-up, Crap chute, Lower Ripper and probably Frog pond)...
The Lift lines were long on our 2-3rd run and then got better. Idk how they have so many riders, but don't maintain anything there for years now.

The only reason I keep going back is that's where all my buddies ride.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Trails closed, no maintenance besides the jumps on Dominion.
Domboo, Alpine, Tempest and Indy are all washed out and rutted.
Anything to the right of Ripper is closed (Step-up, Crap chute, Lower Ripper and probably Frog pond)...
The Lift lines were long on our 2-3rd run and then got better. Idk how they have so many riders, but don't maintain anything there for years now.

The only reason I keep going back is that's where all my buddies ride.
I haven't been to creek in years, none of that is surprising.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I haven't been to creek in years, none of that is surprising.
Yeah, next year I'll do the triple play and maybe get my pass at Blue. I'll be riding there in 2 weeks to see what they have going on. According to their FB page, they closed some trails and are opening up others. At least it sounds like they're working on the mountain, unlike Creek.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
All the connecting lifts between Champery, Châtel, Morzine etc are running now. It’s pretty nice to go between single track far from the crowds to laps on jump trails and burgers n beers in the sun.

View attachment 147301
i'm pretty sure I've been to this lake... hiked there as a teenager 20 years ago... Is it on one of the postal routes between France and Switzerland?

on related note: how's the tourist traffic in the area this year? are people staying close to home/in their own countries, or are things looking relatively normal?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Holy shit!

Sorry guys I'm out. I can't afford mountainbiking anymore. That's a rich man's sport. I'm going to have to go take up sailing. Or aviation.
rolled up to the parking lot of my local spot yesterday. Luxury vehicles everywhere. my son was like "look dad, a Jaguar". I responded "looks like mtb has finally made it as the replacement for golf and road biking"... :butcher:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anyone thought that downhill wasn't always a rich kids sport is fooling themselves.
Meh
The funny thing is that it's always been a million times more 'common man' population than the spandex doctor crowd and now the silicon valley bro crowd livin their best #vanlife.

When's the last time you rode chairlifts? Now, as ever, you'll regularly see bikes more than 10 years old. Far less common underneath fanny packs these days. There's a lot less jewelery going on in dh because it's hard, and people eat shit regularly. Not saying there isn't the 1% element but proportionally, it's not even close.

Go on pinkbike and look at used bikes and compare the used values of old dh bikes vs. endurpadurps.

I stand by my long travel white trash heritage.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Meh
The funny thing is that it's always been a million times more 'common man' population than the spandex doctor crowd and now the silicon valley bro crowd livin their best #vanlife.

When's the last time you rode chairlifts? Now, as ever, you'll regularly see bikes more than 10 years old. Far less common underneath fanny packs these days. There's a lot less jewelery going on in dh because it's hard, and people eat shit regularly. Not saying there isn't the 1% element but proportionally, it's not even close.

Go on pinkbike and look at used bikes and compare the used values of old dh bikes vs. endurpadurps.

I stand by my long travel white trash heritage.
I liken it to motocross and hockey. Certainly more dirtbag than country club, but requires significant disposable income to participate.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I liken it to motocross and hockey. Certainly more of a dirtbag image than country club, but requires significant disposable income to participate.
Have you seen the price of these things?

Now compare with

They know their market

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have you seen the price of these things?

Now compare with

They know their market
Both are pretty fucking expensive, but one is necessary and the other can be accomplished with a $3 pair of safety glasses. Anyone can spend a shit ton of money if they want to look like a douche that spent a shit ton of money.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anyone can spend a shit ton of money if they want to look like a douche that spent a shit ton of money.
Remember, we're talking proportions here. As someone who lives in an amusement park for douches I can vouch.......there's still some good quality poverty in the dh scene. The endurpo market.....I've started looking at firearms and torches.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
i'm pretty sure I've been to this lake... hiked there as a teenager 20 years ago... Is it on one of the postal routes between France and Switzerland?

on related note: how's the tourist traffic in the area this year? are people staying close to home/in their own countries, or are things looking relatively normal?
Yes, that’s the one. Lac Vert up on the ridge where you could ride down to Morgins or Avoriaz or Les Crosets. You have family in Les Gets, right?

Things are pretty normal and there seems to be a lot more people wandering around in town but up on the mountain there are 12 chairlifts running for bikes so that spreads people out a lot. The trails are in better condition than past years and DH is alive and well.

Morgins yesterday was a real good time!

01E232E0-9090-47CC-AD97-66A1A84CE44F.jpeg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yes, that’s the one. Lac Vert up on the ridge where you could ride down to Morgins or Avoriaz or Les Crosets. You have family in Les Gets, right?

Things are pretty normal and there seems to be a lot more people wandering around in town but up on the mountain there are 12 chairlifts running for bikes so that spreads people out a lot. The trails are in better condition than past years and DH is alive and well.

Morgins yesterday was a real good time!

View attachment 147470
Yeah, my cousins have a ski/board shop and a restaurant in town. I'm glad to hear things are returning to normal. It's such a beautiful part of the world. Wish I could go more often.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
For Norcalers - rode N* Friday before last. Pretty much no wait all day. There are no open bike shops at the resort however; a broken rear derailleur had me driving to Truckee to find one.

Last edited:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
anybody hear from plattekill? I mean I feel like you could go there on a normal weekend and still socially distance, as you might be the only one there...

not all that sad about whiteface, they needed a change.
Whiteface has changed from gnarly to non-existent. There are so few places left that have natural challenges left. Please visit the bike parks with no lines and keep them open. No more Plattekill or Whiteface really sucks for the people in the region.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
anybody hear from plattekill? I mean I feel like you could go there on a normal weekend and still socially distance, as you might be the only one there...

not all that sad about whiteface, they needed a change.
The change has happened. No more bikes ever are allowed at Whiteface.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Whiteface has changed from gnarly to non-existent. There are so few places left that have natural challenges left. Please visit the bike parks with no lines and keep them open. No more Plattekill or Whiteface really sucks for the people in the region.
On the plus side, Bolton Valley in VT has reopened and I think there are only 2-3 non black/double black diamond trails. Pretty much all old school, natural jank. There's a few old 'flow' trails from the old MTBVT days that are comical with too tight 5' radius berms built on top of one another and something that was supposed to be a jump trail, but otherwise the terrain fucking rules!

When I was riding there, I did see some heavy equipment ripping trees and carving out a 10 foot wide trail that looked Gravity Logic approved. So long as the old trail system isn't bastardized I think they could do some special things there.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Late season Angel Fire trip booked for next weekend!

Weather looks to be holding, I think they got dusted this week but next week sunny and 60's. Might be a bit cold/icy in the morning. Could be epic™.

Haven't been there since two years in a row for collegiate nationals in the early 2000's....:eek: