Quantcast

Do any DH mountains have plans to open this year?

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Screenshot_20200507-084226.png

They have not updated their website yet but I'm hopeful they open I go there a lot a busy day is maybe 40-50 people there is never a lift line at most you you wait one chair to get on it should not be a problem keeping distance I typically avoid everyone any way

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my "local" park (blue) still has a may 16 opening date listed (but that was prior to our state's shelter in place order), but usually by now they are putting out a lot of social media regarding the opening of summer operations. so far this year its almost radio silence at least as far as summer ops go. so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yep, everyone is going to have to get E-bikes, it's the only way.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Baileys Bike Park north of Asheville is doing some self shuttle stuff (they usually run shuttle trucks, no lift). Looks like Sugar Mountain (my favorite in NC) is opening on Memorial Day weekend! No word from Beech.

@jstuhlman is Windrock still fully self shuttle or do they run trucks? That may be the solution for us this year if no one else opens.

Edit: Answered my own question. WR is running shuttles now (normal operations as of May 2).

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
interestingly enough, my local mountain posted an update today. they will in fact be opening on may 16 as planned, however they are only opening for season pass holders, no day tickets will be sold. part of that is to keep interaction down, part of me suspects they are trying to drive up season pass sales in the process. not coincidentally they have extended early bird season pass rates.

edit: and they also will have a face mask policy:

Face Masks
Cloth face coverings must be worn inside all Blue Mountain buildings, when in the lift line, and when unloading the chairlift. A full face helmet does not count as a face mask. We will have a limited supply of paper masks for purchase, but guests are encouraged to arrive with a mask. Tubes/neck gaiters work great in conjunction with a helmet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You just stabbed me in the heart

f*ck
it sounds like it may be only temporary:

For opening weekend we will only be allowing access to season passholders for downhill mountain biking. Opening for passholders only is the fairest and safest way for us to comply with what we have identified as our distancing capacity. As restrictions ease and other options become available, we will phase in limited online ticket sales. We will work to open up more ticket availability as government distancing guidelines are eased.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Blue Mountain update
SPECIAL NOTICE: BIKE ACCESS & COVID-19
COVID-19 continues to impact our community and physical distancing measures require us to make careful decisions about Resort operations for the coming season. This summer, we will not offer biking on Blue Mountain trails. This includes Downhill, Cross-Country, and Enduro bike access. The safety of our guests and staff is at the heart of this decision. Thank you for your understanding as we navigate these difficult times.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Blue Mountain update
COVID-19 continues to impact our community and physical distancing measures require us to make careful decisions about Resort operations for the coming season. This summer, we will not offer biking on Blue Mountain trails. This includes Downhill, Cross-Country, and Enduro bike access. The safety of our guests and staff is at the heart of this decision. Thank you for your understanding as we navigate these difficult times.
Wrong Blue Mountain...

Our wonderful Blue Mountain has cancelled all bike activity for the summer, but the rest of the resort including hiking, shopping etc etc will open.

:confused:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Blue Mountain update
The info I posted previously concerns the Blue mountain in PA. Ie the Freedom™ version

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
In the South:
Bryce will likely be open this upcoming weekend.
Beech, Sugar, Massanutten plan to open in June.
Bailey is open for self shuttles and will be open for normal operations by June.
Snowshoe will likely open in June.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Over on this side, Champery, Morgins and Châtel are planning on opening mid June. Champery a little earlier actually but I feel like anything can happen...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
anybody hear from plattekill? I mean I feel like you could go there on a normal weekend and still socially distance, as you might be the only one there...

not all that sad about whiteface, they needed a change.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Angel Fire
Yeah, an employee from there said they have trail crew and patrollers working to get things ready but are waiting for government permission. I'm waiting to hear about Sol Vista. With Vail/Breck/Keystone and Winter Park almost certainly not opening this could be a year for Sol Vista to really make some money.